How to... convert overlay grid to features?

07-03-2017 07:48 AM
HarmenKampinga
New Contributor III

Dear reader,

I have created and overlay Grid with the Grids and Graticules Wizard in the Layout View.

Looks great now, but I want to use that Grid to do some indexing on my Streets and Places feature layers.

Like:

Street 1 C14

Street 2 K25

Place A B4

etc

But I do not see and could not find any solution.

What am I missing?

Should I convert my overlay Grid?

Should I use other functionallity?

Combining Grid Index Features and the grid from the Grids and Graticules Wizard is not really an option....?

Thanks for your time and reply in advance 😉

Using: ArcGIS ArcMap 10.4.1 Standard license

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If I every need a grid pattern... Fishnet

AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Fishnet as Dan say, also try Grid Index Features—Help | ArcGIS Desktop , then use Spatial Join—Help | ArcGIS Desktop for Grid and streets layers. 

HarmenKampinga
New Contributor III

Dan_Patterson‌ and @Abdullah Anter : thank you both for your replies.
Those options I am familiar with. 
But if you have created a fishnet how do you use that as an overlay like the option of a Grids and Graticules Measured Grid? Is there a way to combine those two ?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

As a polyline or polygon... you wanted to use it for indexing... you could spatially join or perhaps intersect to pull your attributes over to the fishnet.  Xander Bakker‌ posted some code sample for labelling the fishnet in variety of ways, I can't put my hands on it at present.  Of course, rectangles and squares are so yesterday... you could mess with those and other shapes as well  Phishnyet creating sampling grids using numpy

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

forgot about that one... that was during my 2 space indentation phase

AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

, then use Spatial Join—Help | ArcGIS Desktop for Grid and streets layers. 

0 Kudos
HarmenKampinga
New Contributor III

Dan Patterson‌ and Abdullah Anter‌ thanks for your replies.

I know your tips. But it is still not what I want, my client actually 😉

In the help on the grids and graticules topic shows the first image what I have created:
http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/map/page-layouts/GUID-9D4FC69A-69CF-43F5-8195-D92500A5C8B5-... 

Then it says: " Often, the row and column labels of a reference grid identify locations listed in a map index"

And my question then is: how ?
Maybe using the "custom overlay reference grids" option...?

ZaraniBarrow1
New Contributor

Did you find a solution to this? I'm trying to do the same thing now but I can't get my head around it. 

0 Kudos