How to change symbology of overlapping polygons per location?

04-08-2018 06:06 PM
LozAlt
by
New Contributor III

I have a layer with multiple plolygons representing historical survey areas. Some of these polygons overlap with other survey areas/polygons. Is there a way to display these polygons, so that if there is more than one overlapping, that they are displayed in a different colour/style? Thanks

Tags (2)
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

have you tried changing the transparency of layer or individual colors?

AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

also, you can create new layer for intersection parts using  Intersect Tool 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You can also use the Advanced button in the Symbology tab.  You can instruct ArcGIS Desktop to draw some polygons first, before others.  The thing is, you have to have different symbols for the polygons.  That's the most difficult one.

I like the transparency option described above, but what I usually do is just pick No Color for the fill, and then a nice, obvious boundary symbol.

0 Kudos
KirstenHazler
New Contributor III

I can't tell if you're in ArcGIS Pro or not, but you can do this in Pro for sure. Use the "vary symbology by attribute" option. If you want all the polygons in the layer to have the same transparency, you can use any arbitrary field, and then set the high and low values of the transparency range to the exact same thing.

KirstenHazler_0-1619125404197.png

I used the setting shown above to map overlapping service areas for three parks. Works nicely using the CYM colors.

KirstenHazler_1-1619125507962.png