How to add map lables to ArcMap legend?

Jump to solution
02-28-2016 06:40 AM
RickCheney
Occasional Contributor III

I have some text labels on my map that I would like to add to the map legend, the legend that is automatically generated from the map layers.  I don't any option in the legend properties to add a symbol and description.  The image below shows the diamond shape with the number 52 that I would like to represent in the legend.

label.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

So, are you saying you are using the graphics to add the text labels you showed us as 52 ? If that is the case, then you need to Convert it to "Graphics to Features". Just right click on Layers at the Top of your TOC and hit it.

For more info, Understanding converting between graphics and features—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

View solution in original post

18 Replies
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I am not sure what you are looking for but the only way I know is to "Save As Layer" but here is the info

Saving layers and layer packages—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

I've done this in the past two ways:

1. Add a layer to the map and give it the symbology but cut the layer off. You'll have to tell the legend to display even though the layer is not on
  2. Manually add the symbology and description to the legend
RickCheney

How do you manually add the symbol and description to the legend?  Also, I added an empty layer to the map but, I can give that layer the symbol because the symbol is not an image, the symbol is a small box, rotated to be an diamond, with a second text box added on top of it and those two are grouped together.  Or, do I save this as an image?

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Question for you. Is it just one symbol or are you planning to do the same more than just one symbol ?

RickCheney

I have 6 or 7 of these symbols each with a different number.  I like this symbol that I created but if something else would be easier, I can switch.  Maybe I should choose a black diamond from the esri symbols list?  Can those symbols be numbered?

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

So, are you saying you are using the graphics to add the text labels you showed us as 52 ? If that is the case, then you need to Convert it to "Graphics to Features". Just right click on Layers at the Top of your TOC and hit it.

For more info, Understanding converting between graphics and features—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

RickCheney

I added text, then made the background square, then rotated the square 45 degrees, set the background color orange/gold, set the border color black, then added a second text box on top of that with the number, then grouped the two text boxes.

I tried inserting text then setting the background as a "marker" and selected a diamond shape from the symbols list but when I switch to layout view, the number separates from the gold diamond background.

0 Kudos
RickCheney

It looks like using "Convert Graphics to Features" is the easiest way to do this.  I get the following error message.  I created a generic Do I need to create a table in the database in order to use Convert Graphics to Features?  If I choose a Shapefile instead of a gdb, then I get the error message: An error occurred trying to save the object named . . "

entryPoints.bmp

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Sorry I did not see this until today if you are still struggle with it  See if this can help you out on this error 44697 - Unable to convert graphic text to an annotation feature class

0 Kudos