Having two UTM Zones and Grids on One Map

11-15-2016 12:49 PM
BobNoyes
Occasional Contributor

I am building a wall map for our SAR team and the regional SAR group which includes 9 counties in southern Oregon and Northern California. They would like to have a UTM grid on it and while it is primarily in UTM T 10 the eastern portion is in UTM T 11. This creates issues with grid angles and at this point I haven’t found a projection that works with 2 different utm zones on the same map. Any ideas suggestions or ideas? What am I missing?The tw utm zones and 9 counties.?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

is it the grids for the 2 zones that you want on? ( a dual zone or zipper grid)

Grid Properties—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Coordinate system zones and neatline clipping—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

There seems to be options in the Production Mapping or Defense mapping extensions... I haven't tried it, but one would assume that this base functionality wouldn't be confined to those extensions

0 Kudos
BobNoyes
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response. I am not sure what you mean by zipper grid but dual zone would probably be correct. They would like to have a usable UTM grid on the 44'' x 62" map. It spans 2 UTM zones so, depicting this in a way that makes it easy to calculate coordinates is problematic.Your Coordinate system Zones... link seems promising.

0 Kudos
VishnuPedireddi
New Contributor II

Hi Bob,

With ArcGIS Pro for 2.2, UTM zones can be clipped to the boundary. The clipping apples to all the components of the grid. Please let us know if it addresses your need.

Thanks,

Vishnu.