gps coordinates showing up in 2 different locations!

01-18-2016 09:07 AM
JasonWaldvogel
New Contributor

screenshot1.jpgscreenshot2.jpgscreenschot3.jpgI'm adding data including gps information that is in decimal degrees into arcmap, and the data is showing up in 2 different locations on the map! Not sure what's causing this! The correct location should be central Wisconsin on the right side of the screenshot!  Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

If the gps data is in dd, why are they showing up as what appears to be state plane feet?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Not sure if I understand what you did. You say you have GPS data in decimal degrees, but the second screenshot is showing projected coordinates in the fields (NORTING and EASTING). Furthermore, the third screenshot shows a projected coordinate system (not geographic). Are you sure the proper coordinate system was assigned (corresponding to the source of the coordinates)? You may need one that has a different "False_Easting".

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

The table doesn't look like coordinates in decimal degrees...maybe they are hidden and if so you want to make sure your data frame is set to WGS 84.  Otherwise make sure your data frame is set to match the datum of your x,y values.

0 Kudos
JasonWaldvogel
New Contributor

My mistake, not in decimal degrees! I changed it to WGS 84 and the points disappear from the basemap!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

are you at the border between two projected zones by any chance? don't know what the extent E-W would be for a state plane or utm at that latitude

0 Kudos
JasonWaldvogel
New Contributor

I’m getting things sorted out! Just talked to how did the gps points and there was 2 different coordinated systems used! Got the lat and long coordinates now so hopefully solve my issues! Thanks

0 Kudos