Exporting data.

Jump to solution
07-20-2015 07:42 AM
BryanHouk
New Contributor II

I have a shapefile of parcels in my county. There are 12,564 records. I have went in and selected all of them that are over 40 acres. That makes the total 1418. I go to export the data to make a new shapefile, just like I've done 500 times before, but I get an error message. It says "create output feature class failed". I don't know what's going on. Even if I just select one parcel, I get the same message. It's a shapefile and I am trying to export to shapefile. I converted it to a geodatabase and tried doing it that way. That didn't work either. All the fields are either ObjectID, text, geometry, long, short, or double. I don't see any special characters, just an underscore. But I don't see why if the original file is a shapefile, why it is giving me trouble exporting to another shapefile.

If anybody could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

I'd make sure that the file path for the shapefile is not too long and contains no spaces, these can prevent ArcGIS from writing files to a location.  Try saving to a short file path(C:\) and see if that could be the problem

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

I'd make sure that the file path for the shapefile is not too long and contains no spaces, these can prevent ArcGIS from writing files to a location.  Try saving to a short file path(C:\) and see if that could be the problem

BryanHouk
New Contributor II

Excuse me for a moment, while I punch myself in the face. I saved it as C:\X.shp and it worked. So I changed the location of where I was going to save it and it worked. But I don't really understand because I've saved to that folder before and never had any trouble.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

0 Kudos