DEM

07-09-2015 03:11 PM
Labels (2)
IanFelland
New Contributor

So I am a beginner at GIS. I am using ArcMaps 10.2.2 and my task is to create a digital elevation model for a site I surveyed in Peru. I have the data in a text file and created a dBASE with said data. But from here I'm completely at a loss for getting the ball rolling on this. If anyone could help and give me the most simple instructions possible, I would be eternally grateful.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Can you explain further exactly how your dBase is organized? Does it have an elevation value for every pixel in your DEM, or is it specific measured points, or something else entirely?

I could imagine it being as simple as converting ASCII to Raster (after you convert the dBase to ASCII format), or interpolating between points, but it all really depends on what you've got to work with.

0 Kudos
IanFelland
New Contributor

No, not for every pixel. Currently it only has XYZ values for the points I recorded with a differential GPS. Earlier when I was working on it I had a TIF file on there and it was working properly for a while. I had min and max values for elevation and when I clicked on random pixels with the identify tool it displayed elevation values. However now the TIF file is somehow corrupted, it gives me a value for the highest recorded point, but the minimum value now reads -3.40282e+038. Somehow, something happened to it. Is there anyway I can fix the TIF? Because before that happened I was on track, so I believe. I've tried completely starting from scratch, but the TIF always does that. The dBASE was originally a .txt file from the data I transferred from the data collector to my computer. Hopefully that gives you a better clue as to what is going on. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

When you click on the TIF, does it still give you correct values at random places but the symbology is all the same, or not? If it's just the symbology, you can try changing the stretch type in the layer symbology, or apply a mask filter as a function through the Image Analysis window.

Other than that, make points from your dBase table (MakeXYEventLayer) and interpolate to make a new DEM.