Control PDF georeferencing behavior of data frames

07-20-2016 11:26 PM
Labels (2)
AnthonyCheesman1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi

A curly question that I'm out of my depth with.

I have a large series of georeferenced PDF topo maps that I distribute for use on tablets (think iPad using Avenza PDF).

The maps have a primary data frame, but also a small locator map as marginalia. The maps are exported from ArcGIS as georeferenced PDF's.

The issue I have is that when the PDF is loaded into Avenza or similar, and the app attempts to plot your position on the map and then zoom to your location, it is accessing the locator map in the margin rather than the main map frame. This behavior seems to change with maps, devices and app versions - I can't narrow it down.

I'm thinking of solving the problem at the source. Is it possible to control the behavior of the data frame within the MXD to control whether or not it will generate a georeferenced PDF output? If this is possible, I could potentially allow this behavior for the main data frame, but not for the locator map.

Do any bright sparks have any bright ideas?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor

Change the order of your data frames in your TOC.  I can't remember if it is the top or the bottom data frame that controls the pdf georeferencing but whatever you have, switch it.