Why does the World Hillshade show tiles when exported to PDF? ArcGIS Pro 2.4

Jump to solution
09-16-2019 03:09 PM
RobbyRuef
New Contributor II

I have recently switched from ArcMap 10.7 to ArcGIS Pro 2.4. I use the World Hillshade service consistently and never had any issues exporting to pdf when I used ArcMap. Now, when I export a map in ArcGIS Pro 2.4 with the World Hillshade turned on, the pdf file shows the tiles. The tiles show up with an outline type of pattern or by lightening the layers it is on top of. This frequently happens in single tiles and not the surrounding areas, lightening all colors in that area but not in surrounding tiles. I have included an image attachment demonstrating this issue. I could not find any information on other people experiencing/resolving this issue.

The World Hillshade has a transparency applied to it so that the polygon layers below are visible.

14 Replies
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Ah, sorry, I am actually using a combination of the

• Terrain: Multi-Directional Hillshade
  • Terrain: Elevation Tinted Hillshade

layers stacked.

0 Kudos
RajinderNagi
Esri Contributor

The grid lines issue mentioned is caused by the PDF viewer bug, which Esri has previously reported to Adobe (https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2598542). The issue is not due to World Hillshade or other services.

ArcGIS Pro Cartography and Maps

0 Kudos
ChristiHallman
New Contributor II

I found a workaround for my particular issue, which is that when I made the World Imagery basemap transparent, the tile lines would show up darker when I exported to PDF. To get around this, I placed the world imagery basemap into its own group layer, and then made the group layer transparent. Voila, lines gone. Hopefully it works for everyone. Btw, this is in ArcPro. 

RobbyRuef
New Contributor II

Thank you for your work-around Christi! I will give this a try if I run into this issue again in the future.

Thanks,

Robby

0 Kudos
MikeBuscher
New Contributor II

This worked for me, thank you for posting!

0 Kudos