App recommendation for viewing Sea Surface/Chlorophyll-a values in popup in Apps?

Jump to solution
01-09-2023 07:33 AM
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I am trying to provide an app with living atlas layers like Sea Surface Temperature and Chlorphyll-a as environmental layers beneath other observations in an app. In the web map I have time enabled and the slider works well in moving thru the layers and viewing values.

I've been trying various Instant Apps and liked the Slider for user friendly interface, but the raster values do not show in the pop-up like they do in the web map. The raster values showing is a requirement of the app.

I would appreciate suggestions on the best app to use to view time series data and the raster values. I've included a screenshot from the web map that shows sea surface temperature and then a screenshot from the Slider Instant App that loses this functionality. 

Also, can I use the layers above in a public web app by authenticating my organization credentials?

Thanks in advance,

Kathy

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

I am glad you found that blog article, I was going to point you to it. Both the Sea Surface Temperature and Chlorophyll-a layers are subscriber content (meaning you need to have an account to view them, or public can view them in an app (like WAB) that has proxied for them.

Subscriber content does not consume any credits, premium subscriber content does. There aren't many premium subscriber layers in Living Atlas, but below are the badges you would see to distinguish subscriber content from premium subscriber content.

Subscriber (need an account/proxy in app)

BernSzukalski_0-1673725089897.png

Premium subscriber (need an account/proxy in app, and consumes credits)

BernSzukalski_1-1673725143206.png

If I understand correctly, it seems you're on your way now..!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski

Apologies, I'm not a WAB power user and have never used the time slider or filter widgets. You could post this out on the WAB Community: 

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-web-appbuilder-questions/bd-p/arcgis-web-appbuilder-questions

Experience Builder would be the path forward from WAB. Similar widgets exist, though again I have not used them:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/experience-builder/latest/configure-widgets/timeline-widget.htm

ExB Community:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-questions/bd-p/arcgis-experience-builder-que...

View solution in original post

12 Replies
BernSzukalski

I took a quick look and was able to repro the issue using Slider. Other Instant Apps I tried worked perfectly, displaying the correct pop-up information. I'm assuming for now it's a unique issue in Slider. I'll get with the apps team and see if there is a resolution or workaround.

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Thank-you for taking a look. I ended up using WAB embedded in an Experience Builder app for viewing the time series data. I also added the sea surface temperature to a WAB that was created in AGOL from a web map a few years ago.  Anyway I can't figure out for the pop-up in the WAB it is displaying the StandardDate field with a date of '1207180800000.000000' type of format. It looks fine in the web map with the date format. I've attached two screenshots. In the WAB for a different project the date is displaying just fine.

Does a WAB application created in 2019 have the same capabilities/functions as a WAB created today? I'm trying to figure out why the difference and if there is a work around. 

Thanks,

Kathy

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski

I tried on my test case to build a WAB app and see the same issue with the title. 

One thing to remember about WAB is that it is not up to the same JSAPI vintage with Map Viewer, Instant Apps, and Experience Builder. All those are built upon the latest JSAPI 4.x and can take advantage of capabilities that WAB is unable to leverage.

I'm puzzled as to why an older vintage of WAB supports the pop-up correctly and a more recent one does not. But certainly there have been updates to WAB since 2019.

I am not sure at all if this might help you, but I added the Sea Surface Temperature via its URL using Map Viewer Classic, then created a WAB app using the saved map from Classic. I didn't spend but a few seconds configuring the pop-up, but it looks like the time is being displayed correctly.

BernSzukalski_0-1673665436002.png

I'm not sure how your app will be used, but by adding the Living Atlas layer directly from the URL you would not easily be able to share the app publicly. If for internal use, this might work for you if you spend a bit more time with the pop-up.

The issue with Slider has been logged with the dev team, I expect it to be fixed in the upcoming February update. In the meanwhile, I'd suggest logging an issue with support and they might be able to find other workarounds for your WAB issue, and can also help you track progress on the Slider fix.

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Thank-you Bern for your time and all the info. I didn't have my attachments above labeled correctly, but they are showing from yes the new map viewer and then the older WAB  with the standard date field. Actually in the newer WAB the date is showing fine. Its the older WAB app I have that has that number format for the date.

Although you do bring up a question,I would like the sea surface temp, chlorophyll a, and some other Esri layers to display in a public facing web app. I had added these layers to my content storing credentials for the layers and then sharing those layers publicly. It is my understanding that this creates a proxy, but would not use credits is that true? Can these layers be used like this?

Thank-you on logging the slider issue.  The weird thing with WAB is if I use the filter widget with the sea surface temp with a query using the StandardDate field it displays all the dates as expected.

Thanks for all your help,
Kathy

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

I actually just found your blog post on this very topic of sharing living atlas layers publicly, this is very useful!

Use ArcGIS Living Atlas subscriber content in maps, scenes, and apps

I just revisited how each of the sea surface temperatures were added to the different web maps that source the WAB apps. It looks like one layer I added as content with saved credentials and then added to the web map. The other one was added to the web map using the direct living atlas layer. Then in WAB the proxy was enabled on the latter. This is the one that was also displaying the pop-up correctly.

I just went and added the living atlas layer to the other web map that sources the older WAB and then enabled the subscriber content within the WAB settings and now the pop-up is displaying correctly in both apps.

I wouldn't have thought of that as being a difference and I actually thought I had both added through adding the REST endpoint in my content, but it turns out one was added this way and the other direct to Living Atlas. Thanks!

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski

I am glad you found that blog article, I was going to point you to it. Both the Sea Surface Temperature and Chlorophyll-a layers are subscriber content (meaning you need to have an account to view them, or public can view them in an app (like WAB) that has proxied for them.

Subscriber content does not consume any credits, premium subscriber content does. There aren't many premium subscriber layers in Living Atlas, but below are the badges you would see to distinguish subscriber content from premium subscriber content.

Subscriber (need an account/proxy in app)

BernSzukalski_0-1673725089897.png

Premium subscriber (need an account/proxy in app, and consumes credits)

BernSzukalski_1-1673725143206.png

If I understand correctly, it seems you're on your way now..!

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Hi @BernSzukalski ,

Thanks again for your assistance and clarification on the Living Atlas and proxy info.

For sea-surface and other time aware layers, what would you recommend for the easiest way for folks to make use of this functionality. For instance, when sea surface temp (2008-present) is opened on the map, it displays the first dataset (day in 2008). Currently in a WAB app, I have the time-slider and filter widgets included. From what I understand, in order for all dates in the dataset to be available for filtering, a person has to first open the time-slider and slide the end date to the furthest right so the range covers the entire dataset. Then on the filter widget a person can scroll thru the list of dates and find the date they would like to view. This isn't the most obvious workflow to viewers and I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an easier way.

Thanks,

Kathy

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski

Apologies, I'm not a WAB power user and have never used the time slider or filter widgets. You could post this out on the WAB Community: 

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-web-appbuilder-questions/bd-p/arcgis-web-appbuilder-questions

Experience Builder would be the path forward from WAB. Similar widgets exist, though again I have not used them:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/experience-builder/latest/configure-widgets/timeline-widget.htm

ExB Community:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-questions/bd-p/arcgis-experience-builder-que...

Will
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi!  I'm looking for clarification on how to use Living Atlas content (Subscriber and/or Premium) in public apps.  As an admin for our AGOL org of 450+ users, I often see our users redundantly re-upload and publish layers for their own web map or app use that already exist in Living Atlas. I tried to use the following guidance link referenced above:  Use ArcGIS Living Atlas subscriber content in maps, scenes, and apps but it currently yields a "Request Rejected" page (tried a few different computing environments with same result) - this makes me wonder if the approach or policy to use them has changed?  As an example usage scenario, several of our staff have been currently uploading their own SSURGO soils data but Living Atlas already has a great USA Soils Map Units layer using SSURGO data - what would it take to let them use that in public web maps and apps instead?  Thanks.

0 Kudos