New to development, Code editor question(brackets)

Jump to solution
02-18-2016 09:40 PM
LeifJohnson
New Contributor II

Hello, I would appreciate any help I could get. I am new to the developing world and have a few questions. I have looked at a lot of the documentation and videos but am still running into problems. I have been exploring code and manipulating code for Web Apps and very new to this. So I downloaded Brackets code editor to try and get started. I didn't download anything else...Are their other things I should download like dojo or something along with brackets? I tried following some of the tutorials (found here ) in brackets and after each section of code in the tutorial I run the code to see how things are coming. Unfortunately, at the beginning of the first section of code(the HTML part) I continuously run into html errors.... I was wondering if their is something else I should download with brackets and how to get set up with brackets(as far as maybe setting or certain types of configurations, etc) to start playing with code(html, css, JavaScript) so I can start playing around with the code of other web apps.. I have watched probably 15 different ESRI tech conference videos, YouTube and read a bunch of documentation but still continue to run into problem with the code editor... .Any help or guidance in this would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

I do not necessarily do allot of web programming, nor do I use "Brackets" code editor...

Generally when you start off programming you need to build a programming environment -- your IDE aka Brackets generally does not contain everything you need to program.  I suspect you are programming for the web so some fundamental things you will need (I assuming you are using the ArcGIS api ..)

1. Web server

2. Brackets

3. Any custom JS libraries you are using to be downloaded and installed properly ... this includes dojo (or at minimum..your scripts must reference the path locations of the libraries you are using)

4. Properly located/installed ArcGIS libraries

Simple answer to your question, not knowing your problems is Yes there are other things you need to install/locate.  Everyone's environment can be different (no one solution).

If this is not your problem then giving specific errors along with the offending code can help others isolate your difficulties and provide better or more appropriate answers to your question.

Hope this helps.....

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

I do not necessarily do allot of web programming, nor do I use "Brackets" code editor...

Generally when you start off programming you need to build a programming environment -- your IDE aka Brackets generally does not contain everything you need to program.  I suspect you are programming for the web so some fundamental things you will need (I assuming you are using the ArcGIS api ..)

1. Web server

2. Brackets

3. Any custom JS libraries you are using to be downloaded and installed properly ... this includes dojo (or at minimum..your scripts must reference the path locations of the libraries you are using)

4. Properly located/installed ArcGIS libraries

Simple answer to your question, not knowing your problems is Yes there are other things you need to install/locate.  Everyone's environment can be different (no one solution).

If this is not your problem then giving specific errors along with the offending code can help others isolate your difficulties and provide better or more appropriate answers to your question.

Hope this helps.....