zone lookup coordinate search

Jump to solution
05-19-2023 06:00 AM
Labels (1)
johnbrosowsky
Occasional Contributor II

I am having challenges accomplishing zone lookups using lat/long coordinates.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not work.  Creating a zone lookup with default settings and default locator, it seems to work.  But as I add additional layers and configurations in addition to arcgis world geocoder service, coordinate searches like "-93.60911 41.60054" stop working, even though street addresses and commonplace searches still work.  I have not been able to pin down exactly what settings cause coordinate searches to not work.  

Are there any known issues with coordinate searches, and/or any specific configurations or workarounds to make those work?

Thanks!

JB

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

@johnbrosowsky  thanks for the extra details. I was able to reproduce the issue and its a bit of a weird one that we'll have to look at and fix on our end. 

There is a potential workaround that fixed the issue on my end. In order to implement this workaround you'll need to be comfortable editing data using AGO Assistant. It's a good idea to make a copy of your app first and then edit the sample app to make sure it works before applying it to your existing app. Here are the steps that resolved the issue for me. 

1. Open AGO Assistant 

2. Click on your application item then choose "View Item JSON"

3. When the JSON data appears click the "Data" tab in the top-right to view the app's configured data. 

4.  Look for the sources section and in the properties for the locator where you changed the name you will see a property named singleLineFieldName that might be set to none. If it is then click "Edit JSON" and change it to SingleLine. It should look like this: 

"singleLineFieldName": "SingleLine",

5. Save your changes then refresh your app and test entering lat/lon coordinates.  Note that you might want to test this in incognito mode to ensure you have the latest app data. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KellyHutchins

I'm not aware of any issues. Can you share the settings you've configured for the search widget so we can try to investigate and reproduce?

0 Kudos
johnbrosowsky
Occasional Contributor II

It seems that if I chance the locator name to something user friendly like "Address Search" then coordinate searches do not work, but address and place name searches still work.  If I change the locator name back to "ArcGIS World Geocoding Service", then both coordinate searches and address/place name searches work.  

The reason for changing the name of the locator is so that the locator name that appears in the drop down section of the search box is less cryptic for non-GIS users. 

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins

@johnbrosowsky  thanks for the extra details. I was able to reproduce the issue and its a bit of a weird one that we'll have to look at and fix on our end. 

There is a potential workaround that fixed the issue on my end. In order to implement this workaround you'll need to be comfortable editing data using AGO Assistant. It's a good idea to make a copy of your app first and then edit the sample app to make sure it works before applying it to your existing app. Here are the steps that resolved the issue for me. 

1. Open AGO Assistant 

2. Click on your application item then choose "View Item JSON"

3. When the JSON data appears click the "Data" tab in the top-right to view the app's configured data. 

4.  Look for the sources section and in the properties for the locator where you changed the name you will see a property named singleLineFieldName that might be set to none. If it is then click "Edit JSON" and change it to SingleLine. It should look like this: 

"singleLineFieldName": "SingleLine",

5. Save your changes then refresh your app and test entering lat/lon coordinates.  Note that you might want to test this in incognito mode to ensure you have the latest app data. 

0 Kudos