Tracking Downloads in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
05-31-2017 07:39 PM
berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III

We provide a lot of data for download on our website.  The web page is just a simple HTML table with download links for data in zip files:

This works great for most of our data sets because one download covers then entire province.  But some of our data, such as our lidar data, must be packaged in smaller data sets that only cover a small portion of the province.  To help our users select the data that they need we publish an ArcGIS Online web app with an index grid.  When the user clicks on a grid cell a pop-up window provides a download link for the data:

The drawback to this method is that it bypasses the Google Analytics tracking code that we have embedded in our website.  This means we do not get any download stats for our lidar data like we do for our other data sets:

Does anybody have an idea how I can implement tracking for our lidar data downloads?

Thanks,

Bernie.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

I haven't done much work with Google Analytics so perhaps someone else will provide an alternate solution but I'm pretty sure you'll have to download the source for the web app from GitHub and host it on your own web server. Once you are hosting it you can add the Google Analytics logic to the app source so you are able to track the link clicks. 

The source for all of the configurable apps provided in ArcGIS Online is available here: 

Search · topic:configurable-app org:Esri · GitHub 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KellyHutchins

I haven't done much work with Google Analytics so perhaps someone else will provide an alternate solution but I'm pretty sure you'll have to download the source for the web app from GitHub and host it on your own web server. Once you are hosting it you can add the Google Analytics logic to the app source so you are able to track the link clicks. 

The source for all of the configurable apps provided in ArcGIS Online is available here: 

Search · topic:configurable-app org:Esri · GitHub 

KellyGerrow

If your data is hosted on ArcGIS Online, the number of downloads are tracked as part of the item information:

Item details—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

-Kelly

0 Kudos