Slider instant app popup filter

Jump to solution
12-07-2021 08:26 AM
JoëlHempenius3
Occasional Contributor II

I tried the new Slider  Instant App today and would like to share my first impressions.

• I really like how you can select an integer field for the slider. That way, you don't need a date field in the featureservice and a simple 4 digit year as integer is enough. It also gives a very simple and clear UI. 
    JolHempenius3_0-1638893782787.png

The time slider on a time enabled field has a lot of options and these options are sometimes not necessary. The example in the screenshot above shows a simple slider without unncessary options. Just select a year and that's it. I really like this UI/UX

• Popups don't work like I expected. I expected to see only the selected year in the popup, but instead I get all 40 features for all years:
    JolHempenius3_1-1638894033124.png

Would it be possible to add this option to the configuration? To show only the features in the popup which are visible for the selected slider position? That way, my popup would show only one feature.

-Joël Hempenius.

Languages: JavaScript, Python and Dunglish
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CameronSmith_esri
New Contributor II

Hey @JoëlHempenius3,

The issue with the popups is a JS API level issue. We have to create a tracking system for the features so that the hiding can be accomplished. This is a work in progress right now, but I would expect it to be implemented sometime in early 2022. Once implemented, it will become the default behavior in the app to hide the popups for the features that are not being shown.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. If you have anymore comments on the Slider App definitely put them in here. We'd be really interested to hear them.

-Cameron Smith

View solution in original post

7 Replies
CameronSmith_esri
New Contributor II

Hey @JoëlHempenius3,

The issue with the popups is a JS API level issue. We have to create a tracking system for the features so that the hiding can be accomplished. This is a work in progress right now, but I would expect it to be implemented sometime in early 2022. Once implemented, it will become the default behavior in the app to hide the popups for the features that are not being shown.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. If you have anymore comments on the Slider App definitely put them in here. We'd be really interested to hear them.

-Cameron Smith

JoëlHempenius3

Thank you for your response. 

Another observation: I don't see the option to add a legend. Is it possible to add a legend widget?

-Joël Hempenius.

0 Kudos
JoëlHempenius3

@CameronSmith_esri 
It looks like te popup now works like I wanted. Also the beta label has been removed. Can you confirm there was an update to the Slider instant app? 

(sidenote, one of my slider apps was broken today, slider didn't do anything. I created a new slider instant app with the same webmap and that solved it).

-Joël Hempenius.

0 Kudos
CameronSmith_esri
New Contributor II

Hey @JoëlHempenius3,

Sorry for the late response here. 

There is a legend option in the Slider app. In the Configuration Experience, you can use the search on the left hand side, type in "legend" and then select one of the results, and that should automatically take you to where the Legend configuration setting is.

There was an ArcGIS Online release recently, and new updates went out for the Slider app. That popup issue should be largely resolved (that fix happened faster than I expected). And sorry about your slider app breaking. I think that has to do with the newer changes to the app being released, and some possible breaking changes that weren't accounted for. I'm glad to hear that you got it resolved though.

If you have anymore feedback, please let me know.

Thanks,

Cameron

JoëlHempenius3

Wasn't aware of this search function. Now I am and it makes it really easy to find a specific setting. And now I know where the legends are as well.

Thanks

-Joël Hempenius.

0 Kudos
Carlyndi
New Contributor

Hello JoëlHempenius3

I am curious how you were able to use an integer field for the time slider and make that work so it just shows the year. I attempted many different ways and was not successful at configuring the time slider to just show the year.

Did you publish the layer from Pro? If so, did you enable time through the layer's properties? I used both a date field with just the year and an integer field with the year but Pro and the Slider Instant App insist on showing the month, day, and year by adding 1/1/2015 to all my years. This is annoying not only because I don't want to see the month and day but because it makes the slider very large and there is no way to reduce the size of the slider.

I appreciate any insight!

Carlynne Worsham

0 Kudos
JoëlHempenius3

Hello @Carlyndi 

Hopefully, some screenshots are enough:

JolHempenius3_0-1638943446890.png

Here is how my configuration for the time slider looks like. I selected Numeric and the 'Jaar' field and kept all other options at default. 

About my dataset:

JolHempenius3_1-1638943549948.png

I have two fields in the dataset, the first 'Jaar' (year in Dutch) is integer data type and only contains the year. The data in my datasets is order by the year field, not on purpose, but maybe that's why it works here. I also have a 'Datum' field (date in Dutch), but I only use this field in the popup.  The layer is time enabled on this field, because the layer could be used in other applications where the Webapp Builder time slider could be used. 

I think I created the layer as an empty polygon layer in ArcGIS Online and used a Notebook script to do some data preparation and from the Notebook Script, I add the features to the layer. 

-Joël Hempenius.

0 Kudos