Portfolio - URL not working

09-27-2021 08:36 AM
Labels (1)
DanielStoelb
Occasional Contributor III

I'm attempting to convert our story map series template over to using the Portfolio app and I'm running into an issue to where I'm not able to use the URL function for one of my subjects. This URL is a public-facing site and is currently in use by our existing application. I don't know if there are some settings that are preventing this from being recognized as an acceptable URL, but here's the link I'm trying: https://tripcheck.com. It is stating that it is not a valid URL. I'd appreciate any insight if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Tags (3)
8 Replies
RyanLibed
Esri Contributor

Hi Daniel, 

Currently, the URL function is limited to content from ArcGIS Online only. Embedding public facing sites isn't supported at this time. 

Thanks,
Ryan

0 Kudos
DanielStoelb
Occasional Contributor III

Are there plans to support that functionality soon? For those of us that have multiple story map series and want to test-drive that functionality, it is critical for us.

RyanLibed
Esri Contributor

There's been some discussions to inlcude that in a future update to the app. I can note this down and add this as a discussion point to the Instant Apps team. 

CESPEDESLUISITD
New Contributor III

Hi there, I know its been years, has this been resolved?

0 Kudos
RyanLibed
Esri Contributor

Hi @CESPEDESLUISITD,

Yes, you are now able to embed web pages to Portfolio. Found in the app configuration here: 

RyanLibed_0-1683045846554.png

Although embedding web pages is supported, please note that the embedded web page must also support being embedded. 

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Kudos
CESPEDESLUISITD
New Contributor III

Hi Ryan, 

Thank you for your response.

I noticed that it likes all apps created in AGOL but anything outside of that, they are out.

I get the "Unable to add. The content for the provided URL does not allow embedding."

I have applications that were developed with the desktop version of web app builder, those get rejected.

Even Google.com gets rejected. 

Is there something on our admin end that has to be switched on for they to work?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
RyanLibed
Esri Contributor

Hi @CESPEDESLUISITD,

The warning message that is coming up is based on a check that occurs within the app configuration which verifies whether the page you are attempting to embed supports embedding. At that point, that is outside the bounds of the Instant Apps configuration.

Here's an example of Google.com in a codepen. 
https://codepen.io/rslibed/pen/mdzpGoK

You'll notice that the embedded page of Google does not work there either. It is up to the configuration of the web page on whether or not it allows embedding. This is all due to browser security. 

As for the web app builder apps, it may depend on where the web app builder apps are hosted. I would suggest to contact the web page admin of where the apps are hosted to see if it's possible to enable embedding for those apps. 

This is noted within Portfolio's documentation here:
https://doc.arcgis.com/en/instant-apps/11.0/create-apps/portfolio.htm#LI_CA102A082CB642C0AFCCC35C2B1...

Thank you,
Ryan

0 Kudos
CESPEDESLUISITD
New Contributor III

Thank you Ryan.

Yes those web all builder apps are hosted.

I will reach out to them and ask.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos