Are Nearby and Zone Lookup Apps really mature/retired?

08-25-2020 08:50 AM
JoshKalov
New Contributor III

In AGO, if I go to create a Nearby or Zone lookup configurable app they are now marked mature. I have not seen any announcements about them being retired. Nearby was introduced less than a year ago (Introducing Nearby, a new Configurable App). Are they really being mature'd out of use? If so, what is the recommended replacement?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BethRomero
Esri Contributor

Hi Josh, 

Nearby and Zone Lookup configurable apps were updated to use a new, updated configuration panel earlier this year.  The older apps were moved to mature support when the newer apps were released.  The blog referenced in your question was updated to point to the new Nearby app.  If you are seeing the mature apps in your configurable app gallery when creating new apps your organization may have set a custom group to be the configurable app gallery.  Visit this help topic for steps on how to get the latest configurable apps into your gallery.  

Beth

0 Kudos
JoshKalov
New Contributor III

Thank you Beth Romero‌. I figured this out after I posted. I guess I would ask that this be documented somewhere. The old app was updated to say Mature but no reason was given and there wasn't a link to the new app. Its not clear to me why this couldn't be a seamless update to the same configurable app id since it actually isn't a new template. Its confusing because unlike normal app deprecations, the template isn't really being deprecated, its the configuration set up. As far as I know it wasn't documented in the usual list of deprecated apps. As you noted, the launch blog post for the template was silently updated as well with no notification to users that a change was made.

As a configurable app template user, its unclear how I am supposed to know that this change was made, where the new template is at, how to migrate the existing one, especially if the AGO org group hasn't been updated.

As an AGO admin, its unclear how I am supposed to know when a configurable app was marked mature, why it was marked mature, what the recommended migration route is, and when and how frequently I should be refreshing the "share the Esri default configurable apps with group" setting.

Thanks

Josh

0 Kudos