ArcGIS Attachment Viewer

Jump to solution
10-26-2022 05:32 AM
Labels (1)
katherine_evans
New Contributor II

I am new to ArcGIS Instant Apps and am having a difficult time getting the Attachment Viewer app to work. I have uploaded an image for certain counties in Georgia, through map viewer, but when I go into attachment viewer to try and set it up there, it states there are not any images. I am not even sure if attachment viewer is the right app to use. I am looking for a way to display an image for each county (letting the user click on the county they want to see) once they select the county an image appears for the selected county with info about that county. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RyanLibed
Esri Contributor

Hi @katherine_evans,

To merge your layers together, we recommend that you use the merge layer tool. You can find documentation on this here: 
https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/analyze/merge-layers.htm

Once the layers are merged, Attachment Viewer's map focused layout will display the features in a single gallery. 

You are able to adjust the height of the gallery images in the app configuration under Attachments > Thumbnail height (Map focused needs to be selected). Additionally, in the map focused layout, the end user will be able to click on a gallery item, and expand the image if needed.

Best regards,
Ryan

View solution in original post

9 Replies
RyanLibed
Esri Contributor

Hi @katherine_evans,

Thank you for using the Attachment Viewer app! Would you happen to have a sample app that you'd be able to share publicly? Otherwise, would you be able to share the app through a group? I can take a closer look at the app and investigate the issues that you're running into. 

My user name on ArcGIS Online is Ryan_wma. 

Thanks,
Ryan

0 Kudos
katherine_evans
New Contributor II

I can add you to the group, what is your handle?

0 Kudos
katherine_evans
New Contributor II

My apologies, I just noticed you included your username with your previous email. I didn't see that before I asked for it. I did go ahead and share them publicly, let me know if you need me to try and add you to the group and I will.

0 Kudos
katherine_evans
New Contributor II

I went ahead and made the following items (see image) associated with it public. I wasn't sure if I could invite someone, not in my organization.

0 Kudos
RyanLibed
Esri Contributor

Hi @katherine_evans,

I took a look at your app and it looks like you were able to get the feature attachments to display, nice job! 

I did notice a couple things. It looks like the map has multiple layers, where each layer has a single feature, not sure if this was intended? With how the map and it's layers are currently set up, the end-user is required to switch through the layers to look at a different feature and it's attachments. I think it'd be better to combine your data into a single layer and allow the user to scroll through the features in the UI. 

Also, it appears that you have your app set to the attachment focused layout where the selcted feature is auto zoomed-to. Not sure if you have tried out the map focused layout, but that app layout filters features in the side panel gallery based on the map extent. Here is a sample app that uses this layout.

Based on your question in the other community post, in the ArcGIS Online update that is taking place next week, we are providing the option to minimize the feature content panel (popup) so hopefully that will address the requirement to hide the popup information. 

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have futher questions. Also, if you have any suggestions or ideas on Attachment Viewer or other Instant Apps, feel free to post on ArcGIS Instant Apps Ideas. 

For any additional discussion on this particular topic, let's continue on this thread so the conversation isn't split between two posts.

Thanks,
Ryan 

0 Kudos
katherine_evans
New Contributor II

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for taking a look at this for me, I appreciate your help. Yes I did finally figure out how to do the attachments, although it was very convoluted and not user friendly at all. I might submit some ideas as you suggest above. I do really like the layout of the example you show above, but I am not sure how to accomplish this. Do you mean I would need to combine all layers into one layer? If so, how do I do this and still have all of the attachments tied to their respective area?

0 Kudos
katherine_evans
New Contributor II

Hi Ryan,

I was able to get most of it corrected, but I can't figure out how to show all attachments when the app is first opened. Please see attachment for example, I only see one of my attachments. When I click on the layers I can see the images so I know they are there. Also, is there a way to make the images bigger, it seems a bit small and I am worried people will not be able to read it. Any help you can give with this issue will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, Katie

0 Kudos
RyanLibed
Esri Contributor

Hi @katherine_evans,

To merge your layers together, we recommend that you use the merge layer tool. You can find documentation on this here: 
https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/analyze/merge-layers.htm

Once the layers are merged, Attachment Viewer's map focused layout will display the features in a single gallery. 

You are able to adjust the height of the gallery images in the app configuration under Attachments > Thumbnail height (Map focused needs to be selected). Additionally, in the map focused layout, the end user will be able to click on a gallery item, and expand the image if needed.

Best regards,
Ryan

katherine_evans
New Contributor II

Thanks for all your help with this, I did as you suggested and it turned out great. Hope you have a wonderful week.