Select to view content in your preferred language

Update CSV dataset

Jump to solution
03-09-2022 06:34 PM
PaulTHEDUDELang
New Contributor III

Trying to get the CSV file dataset to refresh from the model/analysis page, see no options for this type?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ian_Muehlenhaus
Esri Contributor

Hi Paul, 

Thanks for reaching out. 

Sorry I'm going to answer your question with two short questions so I can make sure I understand.

First: Are you wanting to use the same CSV file as you did previously, but with updated data you have since added? 

Second: Are you hoping it updates automatically every time new data is added? 

(Third? Am I way off base... If so, apologies. I haven't had my morning coffee yet! 🙂

If the first scenario...
I.e., you have added new data to your original CSV file (e.g., new customers, windmill locations, or great surf spots 😉 and just want to update/refresh the file, you can do the following:

a) Add the newly updated CSV to your existing work book. (If you don't have a work book yet, and just a Model, you can create a new workbook and add the model, as well as the newly updated CSV.)

b) Click on ANALYSIS view.

AnalysisView.png

c) In ANALYSIS VIEW click UPDATE where your data will be inputed and select the newer CSV file with updated attributes. 

updateCSVinAnlaysisView.gif

As for my second question... Can Insights just automatically import new data added to an existing CSV/XLSX file... Unfortunately, due to the nature of CSV and XLSX files, the answer is no. These file types cannot be automatically refreshed in the background. However, there are other datasets/database types that can be. More information can be found here: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/insights/latest/get-started/manage-workbooks.htm

If my third question is most relevant... well, I apologize for wasting your time, and I'm going to go grab a cup of java! 🙂

Thanks for posting on here, Paul! And thanks for using Insights! Happy to help further if I didn't address your question. 

-------------------
Ian Muehlenhaus
Location Analytics

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Ian_Muehlenhaus
Esri Contributor

Hi Paul, 

Thanks for reaching out. 

Sorry I'm going to answer your question with two short questions so I can make sure I understand.

First: Are you wanting to use the same CSV file as you did previously, but with updated data you have since added? 

Second: Are you hoping it updates automatically every time new data is added? 

(Third? Am I way off base... If so, apologies. I haven't had my morning coffee yet! 🙂

If the first scenario...
I.e., you have added new data to your original CSV file (e.g., new customers, windmill locations, or great surf spots 😉 and just want to update/refresh the file, you can do the following:

a) Add the newly updated CSV to your existing work book. (If you don't have a work book yet, and just a Model, you can create a new workbook and add the model, as well as the newly updated CSV.)

b) Click on ANALYSIS view.

AnalysisView.png

c) In ANALYSIS VIEW click UPDATE where your data will be inputed and select the newer CSV file with updated attributes. 

updateCSVinAnlaysisView.gif

As for my second question... Can Insights just automatically import new data added to an existing CSV/XLSX file... Unfortunately, due to the nature of CSV and XLSX files, the answer is no. These file types cannot be automatically refreshed in the background. However, there are other datasets/database types that can be. More information can be found here: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/insights/latest/get-started/manage-workbooks.htm

If my third question is most relevant... well, I apologize for wasting your time, and I'm going to go grab a cup of java! 🙂

Thanks for posting on here, Paul! And thanks for using Insights! Happy to help further if I didn't address your question. 

-------------------
Ian Muehlenhaus
Location Analytics
PaulTHEDUDELang
New Contributor III

Does this work on joined (relationship) tables as well?

0 Kudos
Ian_Muehlenhaus
Esri Contributor

I believe it should if the Join/Relationship is done in Insights.

Any join/relate would end up being part of the model, so you could just load both updated CSVs and update the files in the model. 

The cool thing about the model is that it automates the work. So I believe this should work. I don't have the bandwidth to check this morning, but if I get a chance this afternoon I will for you. Maybe someone else will chime in before then, though. 

Thanks for asking/checking, Paul! And thanks for using ArcGIS Insights!

Ian

P.S. Thanks for the kudos too! You made my day. It's my first kudos! 🙂 

-------------------
Ian Muehlenhaus
Location Analytics
0 Kudos