Unable to use fields that are part of the subtypes

Jump to solution
03-16-2021 09:38 PM
Tolo__AdamTolo
Occasional Contributor

Hi legends,

A layer I am trying to use has subtypes where some fields have different defined domain lists for the field. I have been trying to add a field to my table through Insights and wanting to use the value in the linked subtype fields for some calculations but it seems like these linked subtype fields are unable to be used for calculations.

insight_subtypes.png

Any layer circled in green above that is linked to the red subtype can't be used for calculations.

Anybody know how this is possible?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey there,

I researched this for a bit and found that this is a limitation with using Subtype and Domain fields:

Insights does not support using fields with domains or subtypes for the following capabilities:

• Calculating a field
  • Applying an advanced filter

Found here: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/insights/latest/get-started/domains-and-subtypes.htm 

If you are able to do so, you may create a new column that copies the integer / double value of the subtype column outside of Insights and use that.

Keep on keeping on!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey there,

I researched this for a bit and found that this is a limitation with using Subtype and Domain fields:

Insights does not support using fields with domains or subtypes for the following capabilities:

• Calculating a field
  • Applying an advanced filter

Found here: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/insights/latest/get-started/domains-and-subtypes.htm 

If you are able to do so, you may create a new column that copies the integer / double value of the subtype column outside of Insights and use that.

Keep on keeping on!
Tolo__AdamTolo
Occasional Contributor

Ok good to know there isn't any other way inside Insights.

The documentation you linked did mention copying the dataset to the workbook

Copy a dataset to your workbook—ArcGIS Insights | Documentation

Does this mean it would be a static copy of the data though?

0 Kudos
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, that would be a static dataset I'm afraid.

Keep on keeping on!