Type disappear after create relationships

Jump to solution
07-01-2021 03:02 PM
NgocPham2021
New Contributor II

Hi, I am new to ArcGIS Insights and I encounter a problem while emulating a ArcGIS Insights beginner lesson. 

I am following the steps of this lesson https://learn.arcgis.com/en/projects/get-started-with-arcgis-insights/, but applying to Philadelphia instead.

I want to create a map of collisions that can be styled by routes types, so I create a relationship between the Collisions Map and the Bike Routes Map (which includes the route types). I choose to keep all the data from the Collisions Map together with the data that match both data set. However, in the new dataset, the different types of routes disappear in the Type field. 

I tried again to create a relationship with bot dataset. This time, the Type field is not affected. However, when I tried to create a map with the Coordinates of the Collisions and the Type, the collisions appear to have no data from the Type field. 

Please help!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VickiCove
Esri Contributor

Thanks for reaching out. When you create a spatial join, the features must overlap exactly. When you do a spatial join using lines and points, such as collisions and road centerlines), it's unlikely that the point features will land exactly on the line unless pre-processing has already been done to snap the points to the lines. 

In the Get started with ArcGIS Insights lesson, pre-processing steps were performed in ArcGIS Pro to create polygons with a width of 5 meters (the approximate width of a street). The polygon street network is used in the lesson instead of street lines, which is what allows the spatial join to run successfully even when the collisions do not fall exactly on the street centerline. I am currently working on a workflow to complete similar pre-processing steps using Insights that will help you complete your workflow in Philadelphia.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
VickiCove
Esri Contributor

Thanks for reaching out. When you create a spatial join, the features must overlap exactly. When you do a spatial join using lines and points, such as collisions and road centerlines), it's unlikely that the point features will land exactly on the line unless pre-processing has already been done to snap the points to the lines. 

In the Get started with ArcGIS Insights lesson, pre-processing steps were performed in ArcGIS Pro to create polygons with a width of 5 meters (the approximate width of a street). The polygon street network is used in the lesson instead of street lines, which is what allows the spatial join to run successfully even when the collisions do not fall exactly on the street centerline. I am currently working on a workflow to complete similar pre-processing steps using Insights that will help you complete your workflow in Philadelphia.

NgocPham2021
New Contributor II

Thank you so much! This is very helpful!

0 Kudos