Results of spatial filter depends on spatial reference

12-14-2017 01:27 AM
AnastasiaNaymushina
New Contributor III

I have a question about applying spatial filter tool in Insights for ArcGIS.

We’ve noticed that the result of this tool in Insigts and in Arcgis Pro or ArcGIS Online differs. The source data of both layers is in decimal degrees - WGS84.

ArcGIS Pro returns 3860 intersecting features, Insights returns the same result only if data published as service in decimal degrees (WGS 84).

Results of Select by location in ArcGIS Pro.

Insights - layers are published in WGS84.

If service with the same data is published in Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere – it returns 1581 feature.

Insights - layers are published in Web Mercator Auxillary Sphere. 

What does it mean?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

are the spatial filters the same?  

Is it intersect? within a distance of? within a distance of geodesic? within an extent?

The combination of the filter geometry and the filter method and the coordinate system can yield unexpected results.

If you have an extent defined in geographic coordinates, I would not simply project that extent (either physically or ont he fly) without using a geodesic densify first.

Perhaps so more details would help clarify, given my translation skills are limited.

0 Kudos
AnastasiaNaymushina
New Contributor III

The spatial filters are the same. Intersect. Extent is the same.

I couldn't understand why I get so few coincident features in the result and began experimenting with my data. Tried to find coincident features in Pro, then published new services in WGS84, without on the fly reprojecting in Pro to Web Mercator and applied spatial filter in the Insights to the new published layers.

0 Kudos
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Anastasia, 

Can I connect you with separately to perhaps get the sample data that you're trying to use in this specific behavior? I'd like to see if i am able to reproduce the problem and follow up on this. 

Thanks,

Aravind

0 Kudos
AnastasiaNaymushina
New Contributor III

Hello, Aravind!

Here is my data. You can try it.

0 Kudos
AnastasiaNaymushina
New Contributor III

Hello, Aravind!

Have you managed to reproduce my issue?

0 Kudos
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Anastasia, 

I have just sent you a message to your GeoNet ID. I'd like to work with you on this off GeoNet so we can get into more testing and finding out more information about this specific problem. 

Thanks,

Aravind

0 Kudos
AnastasiaNaymushina
New Contributor III

Hello,

are there any news on this issue?

0 Kudos