"local content"

Jump to solution
07-13-2020 12:00 PM
BrianKaplan
Occasional Contributor

I hope you all are enjoying the virtual UC.  I just downloaded and installed the Insights Desktop.  I need to use the desktop version because of personally identifiable information (PII) that is not allowed on our ArcGIS Online organization system.  There is a option shown to add local content but I'm completely befuddled on how to add local content.  The Add button is not available.     Any tips?

Also, is the Insights version comparable with the Online Version?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LindaBeale
Esri Contributor

Hi Brian,

To add data "locally" in desktop, you need to get out of the workbook and go to the home page.  In the datasets section.  There is a button "New Dataset" which acts in a similar way to "Add Data" but instead of adding it to a workbook, it adds it to Insights data so it can be added to multiple workbooks.  Insights home page to add adata

Hope that helps?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ArthurHaddad
Esri Contributor

Thanks for downloading Insights Desktop!  The Insights Desktop is feature parity with the browser versions in ArcGIS Enterprise and Online.  As it relates to Online, the Insights Desktop is more capable as it allows you to directly connect to your relational database systems and to local files on your disk.  By connecting to your ArcGIS Enterprise or Online systems, you can pull data directly into the Insights Desktop and then make it local by using the feayure called "Copy to Workbook".  Once you add data locally, your "My Contents" will refl3ect data in the Insights Desktop.  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Arthur,
Thank you very much for your quick reply and answers.   If I understand correctly, the local content  is brought in from ArcGIS Enterprise or Online but cannot be loaded directly from the local machine.    
As I mentioned, I'm not able to use Online because of the PII.   While I feel more comfortable with PII on Enterprise, our Enterprise system is not authorized for PII information either.
Thank you for developing Insights for Online, Enterprise and Desktop.  I'll need to wait for other projects to take advantage of it.
Thanks again.
Brian
0 Kudos
LindaBeale
Esri Contributor

Hi Brian,

To add data "locally" in desktop, you need to get out of the workbook and go to the home page.  In the datasets section.  There is a button "New Dataset" which acts in a similar way to "Add Data" but instead of adding it to a workbook, it adds it to Insights data so it can be added to multiple workbooks.  Insights home page to add adata

Hope that helps?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Linda,

Thank you very much. That worked. Closing out of the application and reopening, came be a different interface where I found the Add Data button. I guess I was previously in a Workbook and didn't know it.

Thanks again.

Brian