Problem to create relationship in Insights for ArcGIS

Jump to solution
06-22-2017 07:32 AM
AsmaNKHILI
New Contributor III

Hi,

I want to create a relationship between 2 dataset.

One of my dataset is a feature service coming from ArcGIS Online. I registred the url of service with credentials, i can display it in insights but cannot do any relationship with this feature service.

Please, i need your help

The data is grayscaled.

Thanks 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HeikoHeijenga
Esri Contributor

Currently you cannot include a layer from ArcGIS Online in a relationship.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
HeikoHeijenga
Esri Contributor

Currently you cannot include a layer from ArcGIS Online in a relationship.

SebastiánArdila
New Contributor III

Is there a plan to enable this feature in the future?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Has this feature been enabled yet?

RajkumarSingh
New Contributor II

Hmmm, I was able to create a relationship involving a feature layer from ArcGIS Online as well as a hosted table a short time ago.

0 Kudos
JimCasey
New Contributor II

Does this mean that polygon layers cannot be part of a relationship? Polygons are not stored in csv or excel files which are the only supported non-AGOL data. How can polygons be part of a relationship in Insights?

0 Kudos
JustinCornell
New Contributor III

Is there a matrix of supported joins based upon data types?  I've noticed the same when you try to join two different datasets from different sql instances.  It seems they must be on the same server to be able to do a join.  

0 Kudos
HeikoHeijenga
Esri Contributor

Defining relationships between datasets is possible when:

Insights on ArcGIS Enterprise:

1. Datasets are all originating from Hosted Feature Layers (stored in ArcGIS Relational Data Store) or added to Insights by importing an Excel/CSV file
  2. Datasets are all originating from same database connection

Insights on ArcGIS Online:

1. Datasets are all originating from Hosted Feature Layers in the same organization or added to Insights by importing an Excel/CSV file
JustinCornell
New Contributor III

Thanks for the information.  Is there a way to register database connections/tables with the ArcGIS Relational Data Store?  We'd like to be able to create relationships between live data sources and not snapshots of the data sources an host those snapshots.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Justin, 

Think of the relational ArcGIS Data Store as a database connection on ArcGIS Server. It is a type of managed database connection registered on the federated server. Therefore, it's not possible to register database connections with the Data Store. You can add data such as a feature class/table into it and that is done when you publish hosted feature services with relationships to a standalone table. 

I believe you're referring to live data sources as services that use data from registered enterprise geodatabases or databases with ArcGIS Server. The limitation of creating relationships at this point is that you can't join registered feature layers stored outside ArcGIS Data Store on the hosting server.

If I am not mistaken and you can correct me, you're looking to use relationships on data sources that will reflect data that are constantly updated on the geodatabase/database. You can do this by publishing a hosted feature service to your ArcGIS Data Store/Portal once and then update it nightly by using ArcGIS API for Python: Updating your hosted feature services with ArcGIS Pro and the ArcGIS API for Python. This blog contains instructions on how to do this for ArcGIS Online hosted feature services, you can update your connection to Portal and perform these steps for ArcGIS Enterprise as well. 

So, with the script updating your data every day and if you create a model in Insights for the relationship between the different datasets, you can just update the model every day in the workbook to give you the updated version of the relationship. 

Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Thanks,

Aravind

0 Kudos