Insights Analysis from Survey123 Service

Jump to solution
11-12-2018 06:57 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, I am trying to analyze the results of a survey123 survey using Insights.

The information of that service can then be altered by other instances of the workflow, for example error records can be eliminated.

When viewing the data in Survey, Map Viewer or ArcGIS Pro I get only the valid data. However, when I open the service in Insights it  display's all the records, even those that have been deleted.

Is there any way to avoid this behavior?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey There Javier, I have tested this behavior on my end and was not able to reproduce it. I suspect that this may have been an issue with the Survey123 FC. Please let us know.

Keep on keeping on!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey There Javier, I have tested this behavior on my end and was not able to reproduce it. I suspect that this may have been an issue with the Survey123 FC. Please let us know.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
AllisonMuise2
New Contributor III

Javier Distefano‌ Are you seeing this on AGOL or Enterprise? Do you have Sync enabled? Are there any relationships between your layers?

I am also running into this issue with using Insights. Based on my testing, I do not believe that this is an issue with S123 because I am also seeing this with layers published from Pro.

I am using Enterprise 10.6. I have not been able to reproduce this with layers/Insights hosted in ArcGIS Online, although I do not have the infrastructure to test if this is because of an update to Insights or due to fundamental differences in how layers are created/stored between AGOL and Enterprise.

Here is what I am seeing in Insights:

When I look at the data in the hosted layer I see 14 records. When I look at the data table in Insights, I see 27 records. In Insights, many of these records have the same Global ID, and selecting one row selects all the rows with the same Global ID. Basically - these duplicate rows behave as one.

As I look through the attributes, I can see exactly which rows correspond to each edit that has been made to the data and the incrementing Editor Tracking date fields. Only the row with the most recent Edit date matches the row that is visible when I look at the data through any other application.

I see in the Insights doc that versioned databases are not supported by Insights. The REST endpoint of the affected layers shows that versioning is disabled and no replicas exist.

The layer does have related tables, and sync is enabled. The data has been edited through a combination of Survey123, ArcGIS Pro, Python API, and Workforce.

This behavior is reproducible with multiple unrelated layers in our Portal (basically....every layer we want to use in Insights  ), on multiple browsers (w/cleared caches) and under multiple user accounts.

Jon Emch‌ are you able to repro this with the additional details provided above?

TomTran
New Contributor II

Thanks for the additional information Allison Muise  This reminds me of the discussion on debugging in the Pragmatic Programmer

The best way to start fixing a bug is to make it reproducible.
After all, if you can’t reproduce it, how will you know if it is ever
fixed?
But we want more than a bug that can be reproduced by
following some long series of steps; we want a bug that can be
reproduced with a single command. It’s a lot harder to fix a bug
if you have to go through 15 steps to get to the point where the
bug shows up.
So here’s the most important rule of debugging:
Tip 31 Failing Test Before Fixing Code
Sometimes by forcing yourself to isolate the circumstances that
display the bug, you’ll even gain an insight on how to fix it. The
act of writing the test informs the solution.

0 Kudos
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Allison Muise
Thank you for your post. Could you confirm that you are using Portal 10.6 to test this behavior? I was not able to reproduce this at 10.7.1 and 10.8.1 as well as ArcGIS Online. I will try to hunt down a 10.6 deployment but need to know if you are using the 10.6.1 release or not.

Keep on keeping on!
ArthurHaddad
Esri Contributor

May I ask for specific versions of the ArcGIS software you are using (e.g. ArcGIS Insights v2020.2, ArcGIS Enterprise v10.7.1) ?

AllisonMuise2
New Contributor III

I am using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1, and the included version of Insights.

Here is a sample layer created through Workforce that demonstrates this issue. The layer contains 2 features, but Insights shows 5 records. The features were created through the dispatcher view of Workforce by adding assignments through that UI, and then then updated through the Workforce Mobile app.

https://maps.sbcounty.gov/sbcgis/home/item.html?id=da3f36c04d8c425d83ada6b99de084a0

-Allison

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise2
New Contributor III

Arthur HaddadJon Emch

Were you able to reproduce this with the additional info & URL provided above?

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Allison Muise

My apologies for not seeing this earlier. I looked at the service, but was not able to download it in order to test. Could you enable export on the layer in question so that I can give it a test?  Additionally, 10.6.1 does not have a preconfigured ArcGIS Insights deployment, could you specify the version of Insights you are using? I would also urge you to log a support ticket with us if you have not done so already.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
AllisonMuise2
New Contributor III

Hi Jon,

Here is the About info for Insights/ArcGIS Enterprise.

I can export the layer, but I cannot enable export by others (appears to be a portal setting I cannot access).  Let me know what format you'd like and I can upload a copy here.

Note that exporting the layer will drop the edit history that I am seeing in Insights. I've tried this.

I suggest creating a Workforce project or S123 form (I have not tested the other mobile apps) in your own org, creating a record, editing it through the mobile app, and using that layer in Insights.