How long until I can use insights with Enterprise 10.6.1?

07-20-2018 09:54 PM
IsaacCabrera1
New Contributor II

I'd like to know when an Insights for Enterprise 10.6.1. will be available.  

0 Kudos
21 Replies
DianaBenedict1
New Contributor III

Just wanted to follow up and let people know that I installed Insights 3.0 on our Enterprise 10.6.1 and all works great. ESRI even fixed that issue we were having with accessing Feature Service data that was referenced to our SDE data. We initially were unable to see the spatial features but all now works fine. Since we are not using Public Sharing we are not concerned with  waiting for 10.6.1 patch. Thanks ESRI for getting the 3.0 version out.

0 Kudos
Joshua-Young
Occasional Contributor III

So Insights for ArcGIS 3.0 is now available for download at My Esri, but I would hold off on upgrading right now. There is a warning to not install until you apply a ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 patch but the patch is not available yet.

This is just silly. First there is no warning to not upgrade ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 if you are using Insights for ArcGIS. Then they release the version of Insights that is supposed to be compatible. Then they warn not to upgrade Insights for ArcGIS or ArcGIS Enterprise because ArcGIS Enterprise has to be patched first, but the patch is not available at this time.

Also, the warning Esri provides is unclear to me: "If using Insights for ArcGIS 3.0 in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1, an additional ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 patch (Coming soon!) is needed to enable Public Sharing. Without this patch, public sharing will be disabled. Please contact the ArcGIS Enterprise Administrator to ensure all necessary patches are available and installed prior to upgrading ArcGIS Enterprise from 10.6 to 10.6.1."

Does that mean all public sharing would be disabled for my entire ArcGIS Enterprise site or just for Insights for ArcGIS items? There is a big difference between the two interpretations.

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
SteveLewis
Occasional Contributor

3.0 is now available!

0 Kudos
SteveLewis
Occasional Contributor

InSights is working fine with 3.0 on 10.6.1.  It just needs a file:

Microsoft JDBC Driver 6.4 for SQL Server from

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=56615

Extract and drop this file: mssql-jdbc-6.4.0.jre8.jar  into: 

*:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\runtime\tomcat\lib

SteveLewis
Occasional Contributor

People had been asking ESRI to release the product, even in beta, so ESRI

released it. 3.0 is working great on my Enterprise 10.6.1. I can get some

work done and within a couple of weeks will be able to make them public.

0 Kudos
DaraBurlo
Esri Community Manager

We had heard your messages about the issues you encountered for upgrading and were trying to mitigate any further issues with the statement you mentioned. Sorry it was unclear. Let me clarify, public sharing will be disabled for Insights items only. You can still share with your organization and your groups. You will not be able to enable or disable public sharing on an Insights item type when using Enterprise 10.6.1. Unless this issue affects you, there is no need to refrain from upgrading to 10.6.1 and using Insights 3.0. Unfortunately, we do not have a timeline on when the patch will be available but it is in progress and are we working toward getting that out as soon as we can.

Joshua-Young
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you for clarifying the public sharing issue.

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
0 Kudos
IsaacCabrera1
New Contributor II

What caused this issue to not be caught in internal testing?  Was the thought that since level 1s are infinite that anyone can be in the organization and that this could be patched at a later time?  I'm trying to wrap my head around why the portal team and insights team let this bug through.

0 Kudos
SteveLewis
Occasional Contributor

ArcGIS Enterprise is a huge product and InSights slipped through. I have to

commend ESRI for getting InSights 3.0 out a head of schedule though. 3.0

works better and has more features than the 2.x product.

0 Kudos
IsaacCabrera1
New Contributor II

@Steve, I'm looking for an answer from ESRI.  I'm interested in why this was not caught in DevOPS.  Most of us waited over 6 months for the first version.  I want to ability to show non-org people (any WAN client / Public) insights content.

0 Kudos