Fine control over visuals: Where to?

11-13-2019 09:58 AM
BenjaminSperry1
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

I would like to get a sense of where Insights for ArcGIS is going and where the community would like it to go.

I like insights, its drag and drop functionality was very easy to learn and the tight integration with my spatial data is a welcome feature coming form other data science visualization software.

However, it is lacking in fine control, at least from my experience so far.

Here is an example:

This is a report that I created in Power BI--

This is the closest I could come in Insights--

I can't place or format the title.

I can't change the axis labels

I can't customize the Y axis (i.e. set a maximum scale)

I can't customize the time labels

I can't change the line style (I think normally you can but with this time series it was stuck as dashed lines)

I can't add a persistent legend (there is a pop out legend but the chart can't stand alone without a visible legend)

In addition most of my data are time based but there is no interactive time slider for maps or charts (that I could see).

What is the plan for Insights? Will this fine control eventually be implemented?

Do other people in the community think these are desirable functions?

4 Replies
LindaBeale
Esri Contributor

I realise this post is a little old now but this question is just as relevant.

Insights is about analysis first and we started with adding enough functionality (we hope) to make it useful.  Sharing your results are integral and we allowed some features but as you say, not too many and really not enough.  This is an area we are working on now.

In current versions you can change a number of features you mention using the card setting such as: the axis labels,  card border, typeface, size and font, and background and foreground color.

For the features you can change the symbol style (line width, color, border color etc), classification (where appropriate).

A legend can be popped out.

In our next update in July 2020, you will see a number of improvements in this area.  You can hide headers, new legends, page control over: typeface, size and font and the same for axis labels. 

We will keep making improvements in the future.

BenjaminSperry1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the update Linda. I will try out the new features. Thanks for all the work from you and your team, Insights is an important element in the ArcGIS platform and one I hope to use a lot.

DerekKonofalski
Occasional Contributor

If we can add a request for finer control of a time-series, that would be great too. I have a daily series that is lumping values over a week period and while we don't need the axis to show every date, we would like to have every daily point on the chart. I haven't been able to find any way to do this in the documentation.

0 Kudos
JacquieKovarik
New Contributor III

Hi @LindaBeale 

I know this is an old thread, but I am surprised that one of the initial questions (customizing the min/max scale of the axis) has not yet been addressed in Insights. Now that this functionality exists within ArcGIS Online charts, I hope that it soon becomes available in Insights as well. If you could provide an update it would be greatly appreciated!

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-insights-ideas/insights-for-arcgis-axis-improvements/idc-p/1210...

Thank you!

Jacquie

0 Kudos