Did Insights for AGOL get an update? It broke my report pages and they all show no data. Additionally, the logic for pre-defined filters seems to be reversed. When multiple filters are defined for one group, if none of them are selected it shows no dat

Jump to solution
08-04-2020 06:38 PM
TomTran
New Contributor II

Did Insights for AGOL get an update?  It broke my report pages and they all show no data displaying "This dataset is empty".  It seems the logic for pre-defined filters seems to be reversed for "select all".  When multiple options are defined for one group, if none of them are selected it shows no data.  Before it shows all of the data.  That was more convenient for selecting specific parts of data versus having to deselect all, Insights querying, then selecting, and then Insights querying again.  Additionally, it's more difficult to deal with multiple pre-defined filter groups for AND querying since the other group filters must also be all selected.  If any of the filter groups have none selected it will show no data as well.  The other behavior where one group has none selected and allowing you to filter by one filter group was less arduous to use.  Thank you for reading.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LindaBeale
Esri Contributor

Hi,

Yes, we did update Insights recently and as part of that, we changed the logic of the filter.  You have found a good work around but it is never ideal to have to work around the software - that is not what we strive for.

We are already working on adding the option to set the filter so it has either the previous approach or the more recent version.  It will be in the settings of the filter widget.  We hope to roll out that change in the next few days.  

We hope you enjoy the other features we added at the last release and thanks for letting us know of your issues with the filter widget.  We listened!  

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TomTran
New Contributor II

One workaround I have so far is to create add a filter to each pre-defined filter group that basically acts as a "select all" because it checks if that field is not empty.  Those will be checked on by default for each group and display all of the records or features.  To actually filter out based on the filters or groups, whichever filter group is being filtered, that "select all" filter is unchecked because within each filter group is an OR logical operation so it stops grabbing all of them and then the desired filter is selected which gets an AND operation with the rest of the filter groups which have at least one box checked which is the "select all" boxes to satisfy the requirement of having at least one box checked for a pre-defined filter.  That way since each pre-defined filter group functions as an AND logical operation they will always filter for all records in each filter group that has a "select all" checked and then comes the job of actually filtering for a desired filter setting.  See below where "va" is being filtered for.  Please let me know if there is a better workaround.

temporary filter workaround

0 Kudos
LindaBeale
Esri Contributor

Hi,

Yes, we did update Insights recently and as part of that, we changed the logic of the filter.  You have found a good work around but it is never ideal to have to work around the software - that is not what we strive for.

We are already working on adding the option to set the filter so it has either the previous approach or the more recent version.  It will be in the settings of the filter widget.  We hope to roll out that change in the next few days.  

We hope you enjoy the other features we added at the last release and thanks for letting us know of your issues with the filter widget.  We listened!  

TomTran
New Contributor II

Hi Ms. Beale,

Thank you for your response and confirmation of the next coming steps.  It will definitely be useful to have both methods of filtering especially if only one filter box is used and it will help with performance so that not so many features are loaded.  That is one of the strengths of insights where the map card can load many polygons; my report has 28,000+ features and any other map viewer has had difficulty displaying them whereas Insights can handle it plus have classified symbology with cross-filtering.  It is amazing and I look forward to using the new features.  The new dropdown list for filters will also help to declutter my report as I have many filter groups for my users to be able to explore data, which Insights is great at.

Thank you again!

0 Kudos