Adding Datasets to ArcGIS Insights from a Mac

02-23-2023 03:06 PM
DawnDrake
New Contributor II

My student was attempting the "Map racial disparities in breast cancer mortality rates" tutorial for ArcGIS Insights from Learn ArcGIS.  She is using a Mac and so when she downloaded the data, it automatically unzipped and so she could not add it to ArcGIS Insights.  We figured out how to compress it and she then was able to add it, but when she tries to add it to the workbook, it says "Something went wrong."  I shared my dataset that I created when I did the tutorial, with which I successfully finished the tutorial (on a PC), but when she tries to add that to a workbook, she still gets "Something went wrong."  Is there something I do not know about using this product on a Mac?  Is it a problem with her browser or her computer?  Please help

3 Replies
Ian_Muehlenhaus
Esri Contributor

Dear @DawnDrake ,

Apologies for the slow response. 

This sounds like a dataset error (which it shouldn't be, as it's working on your PC) or an isolated computer issue. I only use a Mac for work on Insights, and I've never come across this problem before.

I'm sorry that your student has run into it.

What is different on a Mac is that if you double click a Zip File it decompresses. However, you should be able to download a ZIP. Just don't double-click it -- which as a former PC user, is tempting to do! 🙂 The downloaded Zip should just work. 

I have a feeling recompressing it caused an error/file corruption. But this is an enigma. 

I will record and attach a short GIF of me downloading the data and opening it on Mac.

It's likely you've done all these steps the same, but just in case. 🙂

I hope this video helps!

Thanks for using ArcGIS Insights and sorry you ran into this issue, Dawn. 

Please let the community know if you have any other questions!

Ian

P.S. If the embedded image is too small to make sense of, I attached the animated GIF as well. 

downloadAndLoadZipDataOnMac.gif

-------------------
Ian Muehlenhaus
Location Analytics
0 Kudos
DawnDrake
New Contributor II
Thank you! I will share this with her. With me never using a Mac and also
her being in Scotland and me in the States has made tjis harder.
0 Kudos
Ian_Muehlenhaus
Esri Contributor
No problem! I’m happy to help. 😊

As a former online educator, I empathize with dealing with cross-platform issues and the late-night troubleshooting your teaching entails. 😊 Fingers crossed the Esri Community just made it a tad easier for you!

Thanks for using ArcGIS Insights and please keep your questions coming. 😊

Ian
-------------------
Ian Muehlenhaus
Location Analytics
0 Kudos