Add attributes to Image Collections

Jump to solution
02-24-2022 02:09 PM
Labels (1)
MichaelWen_Timmons
New Contributor III

Is there a way to add attributes to an Image Collection? 

The goal is to have the Owner and the CreateDate to be associated with each image in the collection.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey MapmcBurney,

You can definitely time enable the imagery layer. My recommendation is to create a mosaic dataset with the imagery data you are planning to use. Then modify the mosaic dataset attribute table to add in the time fields or any other fields you would like to see. Once that is complete, you can then publish that mosaic dataset through the Create Hosted Imagery Layer from Pro as a dynamic image collection, and then you can view the time when added to map or app.  The Dynamic imager collection created will maintain the attribute table you will need to alter the display to see the individual time slices. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael,

So you are looking to create a collection of images in an online layer and then associate them with particular attributes? I would think you would probably rather use an app like Field Maps, Quick Capture, or Survey123 to use the ability to upload a photo as an attachment. With those apps, you can easily control the attributes and populate them how you feel. An image collection functions more like a mosaic dataset, where the attribute table contains information about the individual images used in the mosaic, but perhaps not if the images are not overlapping and contribute to one 'mosaicked' image. 

Here is an example of using ArcGIS QuickCapture for photo inspections

0 Kudos
MichaelWen_Timmons
New Contributor III

The goal is to create an Imagery Layer containing all the images that can be shared with users outside the organization and viewed by different desktop and web apps. 

If it is not possible to do this in ArcGIS Image for AGOL then can it be done in Image Server?

0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor

The Image collection layer configuration is a Dynamic Imagery layer, which can maintain the attribute table. However, for out of organization sharing, only Tiled Imagery layers will work for that. I am just curious about your workflow and type of images. From your previous description, I wasn't sure if you had aerial images or since you said user submitted, it made me think that they were pictures.  Perhaps if you explained what types of images you had, then I could make a recommendation. 

0 Kudos
MichaelWen_Timmons
New Contributor III

The images are geotiff files downloaded from a vendor. They are aerial photographs of construction sites.

Even if the Dynamic Imagery layer can only be shared within the organization that is acceptable.

I saw that there is an attribute table in Dynamic Imagery layers. It would be nice if we can add additional attributes there.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
MichaelWen_Timmons
New Contributor III

Also is there a way to update the attributes in Attribute Table? Specifically GroupName and ZOrder? 

0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor

Ok so what you are looking to do at this point is better served using Image Server. You could create a mosaic dataset in ArcGIS Pro, add the fields that you are looking to create and populate them with the necessary information. Then you could use ArcGIS Pro to publish the mosaic dataset with the fields you desire. However, if you were to try and update them, then that would be an issue. Image server is capable of having a 'live' mosaic dataset, where the image service could be updated as much as you like that way. 

0 Kudos
mapmcburney
New Contributor III

Is it possible to add a field (ex. Time field) to a Image Collection, uploaded via the ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online wizard, so that the resulting collection can be time enabled? 

Or, in short, is there a way within ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online to publish a collection with time capabilities? It is implied that it is possible from this post but i can't seem to find a workflow or example showing how.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-ideas-blog/your-ideas-in-the-june-2021-arcgis-online-update/ba-... 

JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey MapmcBurney,

You can definitely time enable the imagery layer. My recommendation is to create a mosaic dataset with the imagery data you are planning to use. Then modify the mosaic dataset attribute table to add in the time fields or any other fields you would like to see. Once that is complete, you can then publish that mosaic dataset through the Create Hosted Imagery Layer from Pro as a dynamic image collection, and then you can view the time when added to map or app.  The Dynamic imager collection created will maintain the attribute table you will need to alter the display to see the individual time slices. 

mapmcburney
New Contributor III

Awesome! Thank you for the quick response! I have my test MD uploading right now and everything is looking great!