This dataset has a large number of features. Please zoom in to see them.

Jump to solution
01-20-2020 02:46 AM
AleksandraZietara
New Contributor III

I get this message for datasets in ArcGIS Hub which comes from the ArcGIS Server. I tried to zoom but no objects appear on the map and the message does not disappear. I can only see the extent of my layer as marked on the picture below:

I have tested one feature layer which has only four rows. It looks fine when the layer is hosted feature layer in AGOL, but when I use the same layer as a reference from ArcGIS Server (10.7.1) in AGOL I get the mentioned message. 

I have also noticed that layers which show this message miss the "rows" attribute, while the others get this one populated:

Is it expected behavior or can I change some settings in order to get the objects on the map in Hub?

I will appreciate any help! 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomWayson
Esri Contributor

> I  have also noticed that layers which show this message miss the "rows" attribute,

Search results w/o "rows" have not been indexed by our back end. There can be 2 reasons. Either they are not shared w/ everyone, and therefore not accessible to our indexer, or our indexer has not yet got around to indexing them yet

> I found out that it helps to share and unshare the AGOL item with Open Data group couple of times

After doing that, did you notice that the "rows" are visible in the search result? If so that means that the item (for the service) was indexed.

> I am not so glad in this unpredictable behavior. 

You should not need to repeatedly share/unshare the items. Our indexers will find them as long as they are shared w/ everyone, and especially if they've been added to an Open Data group. It may take time. You may also find this useful: https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgis-hub/blog/2019/12/09/how-to-manually-refresh-... 

I can tell from the image above that the particular layer was indexed

Regardless, even if you do not see a "rows" count on the search result (i.e. it has not been indexed or is not shared w/ everyone), you should still see the features on the map under most circumstances. We have a fairly complex set of rules that determines when to show or not show features, but generally speaking, you should never see that message for a layer w/ only 4 rows.

The next time you have that happen, I'd be curious to know if there are any errors in the browser's console and or failed network requests.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
BrianRollison
Esri Contributor

From your screenshots it appears that layer has many features, to increase page load performance we typically require the user to zoom in before individual layers render.  Have you zoomed in to a city-level and no features continue to render?  Can you share the public URL to those dataset items?

0 Kudos
AleksandraZietara
New Contributor III

Hello Brian,

Yes, I have tried to zoom in to a city-level and no features were rendered. Also, I have tested a lot and there is no rule how many features the layes has. Sometimes it happens to features which have around thousand records and sometimes I do not get row attributte for features with five rows. Anyway, I found out that it helps to share and unshare the AGOL item with Open Data group couple of times. But again no rule - sometimes it starts showing objects on the map after one 'unsharing' process, sometimes after three. I am not so glad in this unpredictable behavior. 

0 Kudos
BrianRollison
Esri Contributor

Hi Aleksandra Zietara‌ -- can you email me at brollison@esri.com so we can take a closer look at what might be going on.  If you could share the site and dataset(s) URL with me in that email that'll allow us to get a head-start (if the item's are public).

0 Kudos
TomWayson
Esri Contributor

> I  have also noticed that layers which show this message miss the "rows" attribute,

Search results w/o "rows" have not been indexed by our back end. There can be 2 reasons. Either they are not shared w/ everyone, and therefore not accessible to our indexer, or our indexer has not yet got around to indexing them yet

> I found out that it helps to share and unshare the AGOL item with Open Data group couple of times

After doing that, did you notice that the "rows" are visible in the search result? If so that means that the item (for the service) was indexed.

> I am not so glad in this unpredictable behavior. 

You should not need to repeatedly share/unshare the items. Our indexers will find them as long as they are shared w/ everyone, and especially if they've been added to an Open Data group. It may take time. You may also find this useful: https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgis-hub/blog/2019/12/09/how-to-manually-refresh-... 

I can tell from the image above that the particular layer was indexed

Regardless, even if you do not see a "rows" count on the search result (i.e. it has not been indexed or is not shared w/ everyone), you should still see the features on the map under most circumstances. We have a fairly complex set of rules that determines when to show or not show features, but generally speaking, you should never see that message for a layer w/ only 4 rows.

The next time you have that happen, I'd be curious to know if there are any errors in the browser's console and or failed network requests.

AleksandraZietara
New Contributor III

Brian and Tom,

Thank you very much for all you help and explanation!

I can confirm that all the items were indexed over the weekend and both "rows" count and visibility on the map is working fine now. I will just remember that sometimes it takes some more time.

0 Kudos