Storymaps not displaying in ArcGIS Hub in Chrome

02-24-2021 10:05 AM
DataOfficer
Occasional Contributor III

I am having trouble with Storymaps not displaying in my ArcGIS Hub pages in Chrome (tested in Version 88.0.4324.190 (Official Build) (64-bit)). The storymaps work fine as standalone items, and can be viewed through the storymaps site. However, when adding them to my hub pages (via an Application item), where the storymap should be is greyed out with a page icon with a sad face, and the message www.arcgis.com refused to connect.
DataOfficer_0-1614189261822.png
I have checked the following:

• The storymap is published
  • The storymap is shared to the hub initiative core team and contents groups
  • All content in the storymap has the correct sharing permissions
  • Cleared the browser

I have also tried embedding via an iframe instead but I get the same result. I feel like this is related to sharing permissions somewhere along the way but I can't see where.

Viewing the same hub pages via Microsoft Edge works.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

we're looking into it. likely a change with how chrome is handling cookies. we have plans to significantly change this behavior in the next major release of ArcGIS Online later in March...but will see what we can do before that.

DataOfficer

Is there anything we can do in the meantime to allow our storymaps to display in hub sites via a Chrome browser? With it being the most commonly used browser it means that several of our hub pages are now mostly a grey screen due to the apps not showing - effectively making our websites unusable. Some of our pages rely on storymaps for the majority of the content displayed.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

can you confirm if you're using the embed on a custom domain or not? right now I don't yet have a workaround but am only seeing this issue when I'm doing a private embed on a custom domain

0 Kudos
DataOfficer

Yes it is a custom domain. 

DataOfficer

@Anonymous User is there any update on a fix for this? Our hub initiatives are currently out of action until this is resolved.

0 Kudos
DataOfficer

@GrahamHudgins is there any update on a fix for this? 

0 Kudos
BrianRollison
Esri Contributor

Hi @DataOfficer -- apologies for the absence in the thread.  We're working with the StoryMaps team to resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
DataOfficer

Update - unfortunately this is still not resolved but logged as BUG-000139199. For hub sites that are not shared publicly and have custom domains, temporary workarounds suggested by ESRI are:

1. Use StoryMaps classic
2. Remove the custom domain
3. Use a Url link to the StoryMap

0 Kudos
DataOfficer

7 months on and still not resolved, with no timeline as to when it will be.

0 Kudos