Sharing of Hub Site with Other Organization - Not Public?

Jump to solution
02-18-2020 09:10 AM
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III

I have the basic version of Hub.

I need to make a hub site and share it with a group of users that consist of a few members from both my Organization and other Organizations.  I cannot have the site or its content made public.

1. Is this something that I can do with the Basic Hub?
  2. If I can do this, where is the documentation that explains it - for the Basic version?

Thank you,

--Adam

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes - features in Hub like the menu bar links in the header, the search results (accessible via the search bar or category cards), and the gallery card are all responsive to the sharing-level of the app. Saying it a different way, if I put 3 links in my menu bar and I only share 2 of those item with you then as long as you can see the site you'll see it has 2 links where I see all 3. In this way some of our users craft one site for many different groups of users with differing levels of access. You can, of course, share everything the exact same way so everyone has a consistent experience but I thought you'd like to know about the more hybrid approach

View solution in original post

6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hub Sites are items and, like any item, you can control who can see it. Within the Hub we offer 3 options for sharing Share a site—ArcGIS Hub | Documentation  but you can always use ArcGIS Online to add the Site item to a group, invite those you want to see it, and then they'll have access.

AdamRepsher

...and the content, shared to the same group?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes - features in Hub like the menu bar links in the header, the search results (accessible via the search bar or category cards), and the gallery card are all responsive to the sharing-level of the app. Saying it a different way, if I put 3 links in my menu bar and I only share 2 of those item with you then as long as you can see the site you'll see it has 2 links where I see all 3. In this way some of our users craft one site for many different groups of users with differing levels of access. You can, of course, share everything the exact same way so everyone has a consistent experience but I thought you'd like to know about the more hybrid approach

AdamRepsher

Thank you for the follow-up Graham.  The documentation does not clearly say that.  What it does is simply say that the Basic user can share three different ways, with nothing about sharing to specific users.  Where it does talk about sharing with specific users, it just transitions to explaining it in terms of the Premium package.

Thank you for the clarification.

--Adam

0 Kudos
AdamRepsher

One more question for you, Graham Hudgins‌:

When sharing the hub site with someone outside your Organization, how do you configure the link for them to get there AND log in to their account?

In Firefox:  I am attempting to open the Hub page as a user from another Org.  When I do, the Hub site does not open, but it does forward me to ArcGIS.com without asking for me to login.  If I use the "Sign In" link provided there, I am just taken to the Org's home page after sign-in.

EDIT:  I just tried this in Chrome, and it works as I would expect - taking the user directly to a page asking for credentials.  It appears that this does not work with Firefox....

I would like the Hub site to open and ask for a log in, and go directly to the Hub site after authentication.  Is this possible in Firefox?

Thanks,

--Adam

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can you give me specifics around the links you are sharing?

Without auth, when I go to a private site's page, I am prompted to sign in. When I do this, I am then directed back to the site/page I was originally trying to visit. This only works if I visit the site/page directly. If you are trying to look at the item details page from your org for a private item then something else might happen.

The example will help me understand further!

0 Kudos