Select to view content in your preferred language

Open Data not showing any Download options or buttons for Canadian user

Friday
alex_friant
Occasional Contributor III

We host our open data rest services in California, and our Open Data site with AGOL Hub.

We recently had someone from Canada report that they couldn't download data from our Open Data site. We verified that they can see our rest endpoints, but when they sent us the screenshot of what they are seeing on our Open Data Hub site on AGOL, I was surprised to see there are no Download options on the left blue tab, nor are there any buttons to the right of the item thumbnail.

For example, our Road Centerlines offering, when you click on it should land you on a page like this:

normal_landing_page.png

Instead of that, they end up on what appears to be the 'about' page, but it's missing some key components:

what_customer_is_getting_instead.png

This is what that about page should look like:

normal_about_page_has_download_options.png

Anyone have any idea why they would be seeing a different page, and one that has no download options?

Also, is anyone else seeing these same issues on our Open Data hub site?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ThomasHervey1
Esri Contributor

Hi @alex_friant ,
Are you able to share the URL for the view that does not have any download options for me to investigate? In the screenshot above it appears that this a Feature Service item with no layers. There is a subtle difference between the two namely that the view without any download options is a Feature Service item.

Typically, service items do not have a direct download option, but selecting one of the child layers would bring the user to the /explore view of the layer with options including downloads. We'd need to investigate why the Feature Service item does not have any layers to select.

alex_friant

I did notice that, too. Even though it's the same item which points to a FeatureServer rest endpoint, their landing page is showing a "Feature Service" and my about page is calling it a "Feature Layer". That they are different makes no sense because it's the same item on AGOL.

I assumed the URL for their landing page was the same as the one they clicked on: https://maps-nevcounty.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/504d7ac45ee3469fb0f0dbc8b00a3c09_1200/explore?lo...

But I just asked them if they could send me the URL of their landing page with missing buttons to see if it's getting changed somehow.

0 Kudos
alex_friant

@ThomasHervey1 so the user reported back and said that the link is redirecting to: https://maps-nevcounty.opendata.arcgis.com/maps/nevcounty::road-centerlines/about

I'll make a ticket with Esri - something sounds like it's hosed. The link shouldn't be redirecting and even when it does there are no Download options and the item type is reporting back differently as you and  I noticed in the screenshots.

Koen
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hey Alex,

I am not too familiar with ArcGIS Hub but wanted to let you know that I am not experiencing this issue on my end (on this site). I am still trying to find some information related to this. 

In the meantime, I would highly recommend opening a technical support case if you are able to. This is likely an isolated issue with just the user in Canada not being able to see the download button as I am able to see the download button fine on my end (East coast United States). I hope this helps. I will reply if I come across any other potential solutions. 

alex_friant

Thanks @Koen. My plan is to see if this is a common issue first by posting here and see if anyone else is experiencing the same issue. If not, then I'll create a technical support case with esri, but that's going to be challenging since esri can't replicate the issue. I'll shall try anyway.

0 Kudos
Koen
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hey @alex_friant 

That's fair, I think opening a case alongside this post wouldn't hurt. Share the community post since your screenshots and explanations are quite good here. I was not able to find any immediate bugs that have recently been reported on this issue. An analyst within your Technical Support Ticket will be able to talk more in depth with you and potentially get on a screenshare with the effected user. 

0 Kudos
JessicaMcCann
Esri Contributor

Hi Alex,

I am located in Canada and the same occurs for me. There are not download button from the Road Centerline item's page. Furthermore I tried to open the data in ArcGIS Pro via the ArcGIS Online Item's Description page and ArcGIS Pro keep on spinning when authenticating. 

JessicaMcCann_1-1720805388837.png

JessicaMcCann_2-1720805447569.png

And, If I cancel I get a Forbidden 403.

JessicaMcCann_4-1720805995940.png

Hope that can provide you some additional things to look at.

Tags (1)
alex_friant

Very helpful @JessicaMcCann! When you go to the rest endpoint, do you get a "challenge" to prove you're not a bot or anything?
https://maps.nevadacountyca.gov/arcgis/rest/services/web_public/Open_Data_Layers_Nevada_County/Featu...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos