Force refresh of Content Library?

Jump to solution
06-18-2020 08:40 AM
NFlourish
Occasional Contributor

I have run into a recurring issue with Hub that I think I must just not understand.

I have items that were shared via the content library of my hub site. I want to remove them. I remove them.

When logged in to Hub they are not in my content library listing. They are gone.

When not logged in, they continue to show up.

Despite refreshing the content listing from the ellipse button in the top corner, the public listing of the content does not change.

I can make stuff leave the content library if I make it no longer public... but that is not my goal.

In a simple example, the goal is I add a new hub page. By default it is added to the content library group, and shows up in the content library. But I do not want any hub pages showing in my content library. So I remove it from the library / group. The page is still public and accessible by URL, but it is clutter for our content library...

I can show examples of my logged in view of the content library having only a few things I want in it... and the public listing showing all sorts of stuff I have previously removed.

I thought maybe there was a question of a cache or index needing to be updated. But I've waited 12 hours and still no change.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The content library is intended to only show datasets, documents, apps + maps not other pieces of hub content (e.g. events, pages). Those pieces are managed elsewhere in the application (site editor for pages for example). We don't currently have a configuration option to hide content from public search apart from removing public sharing, but can definitely add that option for consideration in the backlog.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
NFlourish
Occasional Contributor

Graham Hudgins‌ or Patrick Hammons‌ do you have any thoughts on this issue?

Our publicly showing list of the content libraryOur content library when I log in to Hub.

0 Kudos
ThomasHervey1
Esri Contributor

Hi Nicholas Floersch‌,

I'm sorry to hear that you're seeing items that have been removed. First, as of now we do not have a way to hide certain content types in your content library unless you turn on collections in the left sidebar and select 'Data' or 'Apps&Maps'. We're working on moving Hub pages under the sites collection, but for now they're listed under documents. Second, the option in the more menu '...' to check for content updates does not check to see if items have been deleted, only if there are updates to the items in your content library. But this is a good idea and we will try to incorporate it.

I see under your site's search that the Hub pages still appear. To be clear this is undesirable because you've removed them from your content library, correct? The pages appear to be active so I want to make sure that they have actually been deleted and not somehow hidden from the content library.

0 Kudos
NFlourish
Occasional Contributor

Hi! Thanks for responding.

Good to understand the Update Content function better, and good to know what you are working on for the future.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same problem, though... not exactly?

While the goal is to make some of our public content visible via the Content Library of our Hub site, but not everything, I believe this is normally handled by "whatever is in the '<hub site name> content' group in AGOL is shown in the Content Library"

Is that correct?

If it is supposed to be that way, then we have a problem.

I only have 4 things currently in that group, but I am continuing to see stuff in the public display of our Content Library (i.e., using incognito, so not logged in) that was removed from that group. Days after removing it.

In Hub's Content Library management screen I only see the things I want to see. Good.

So why do I see old stuff, I removed, in the public display of the Content Library? I would expect that the public display of our Content Library, vs what I see in the Content Library when logged in, would be either the same items, or fewer. I should not see less stuff in the Content Library when logged in than when I am not logged in.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Nick,

The only public version of the content library should be the search results for your site. We show hub pages alongside the rest of the content on hub sites to promote your public pages alongside your public content. Is that not great for you?

Patrick

0 Kudos
NFlourish
Occasional Contributor

This is not a sweeping judgement against what you all include in the search results. I think I do not understand something.

In the screen shots above... the one showing "data.permianmap.org/content/edit" as the URL ... shows 5 items. One of those I know is not public, too. 

If that is my Content Library... why does "data.permianmap.org/search" return anything more than that?

How do I control exactly what is shown in the "data.permianmap.org/search" to exclude anything I want to exclude? In this client's case it is the Hub pages... they do not want those shown. And according to the listing from "data.permianmap.org/content/edit" I have excluded everything I do not want to see. But then the "data.permianmap.org/search" results show stuff I thought was excluded.

0 Kudos
NFlourish
Occasional Contributor

Maybe I should ask what the purpose of the page "data.permianmap.org/content/edit" is? What is the use-case for this page? Because I feel like I am expecting it to do stuff it doesn't do.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The content library is intended to only show datasets, documents, apps + maps not other pieces of hub content (e.g. events, pages). Those pieces are managed elsewhere in the application (site editor for pages for example). We don't currently have a configuration option to hide content from public search apart from removing public sharing, but can definitely add that option for consideration in the backlog.

0 Kudos
NFlourish
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Patrick... this helps me understand.

In our use cases having the ability to exclude things from the search would be good. The clients I'm thinking of have wanted to help keep users focused by not showing anything extra.

But if two of our clients are the only people who have ever wanted it... I can see how that would be a pretty low priority.

Take care!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

All feedback is welcome! We can check against analytics to see how often pages/events are accessed directly from search. Either way we'll take it into consideration.

0 Kudos