Error adding members (community users) to Supporting Team

04-29-2021 06:05 AM
DataOfficer
Occasional Contributor III

We have created a Supporting Team for one of our ArcGIS Hub initiatives. We have Hub Premium and have invited some of our community members to the team. Some get added to the group but without the invite message, whereas for others we are getting an error and they are not being added at all.

I have tested 2 routes for adding the community users that throw the error to the group, with the following behaviour:

• Via the hub initiative supporting team page - red bar appears at the bottom after sending invite saying 'an error occurred'. No other error information. Despite writing an invite message, the message is not being delivered but the user is being added to the team.
  • Via ArcGIS Online - logged in with the Community Admin account - Error adding members. The following members could not be added to this group. They may not have the privileges needed to join the group or may have hit the maximum number of groups (512).

In both cases I am either the group owner or assigned as a manager.

All users are Creator user types with User roles. Profile visibility is set to Organization, and users are only members of 1 or 2 groups.

Group settings are as follows:
Who can be in this group? Any organization's members

How can people join this group? By invitation

Who can view this group? Only group members

Who can contribute content? Group owner and managers

I've been unable to find a relevant solution in the technical article on this error.

23 Replies
WilliamSimper_WDFW
New Contributor II

JayDev,

Possibly a related issue. When inviting individuals to create Hub accounts, you have the option to specify which Groups (in the Hub Org) they are added to. This is super helpful (automatically added instead of a clunky two-step process) and therefore I've created several Groups in the Hub Org to take advantage of this. However, around a month ago this auto-adding has stopped working-- the users can create accounts but they are not automatically added to the Hub-Org Groups. I *can* subsequently add those users to the Hub-Org groups-- without changing their User Role-- but I have to do so manually after the fact. This is causing a bit of consternation with users in one of our larger initiatives, so it'd be GREAT if this could be fixed with the next update. Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
JayDev
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi @WilliamSimper_WDFW, thanks for letting us know about this. I can try to investigate further. Are you trying to automatically add users to your primary ArcGIS Online organization, or are you adding these accounts within your community organization? Are you using an admin user to do this?

0 Kudos
WilliamSimper_WDFW
New Contributor II

Hi JayDev,

This is all happening within the Community org. I am using an (essentially) admin (technically a custom role) account that is a member of the community org. I am inviting users to create an account on the Community org (using the third option-- use email of their own choice) and I am selecting Groups that exist in the Community org for them to be added to when they join (these groups are technically not part of an Initiative, instead they exist as standalone Groups in the Community org). This worked great until recently, however now they are not added to the Groups when their account is created. I can add them after they create an account without changing their Role (they are coming in as Data Editors). However as you can guess, this is very clunky as I have to keep checking to see if they've created an account before they can be added.

Thanks!

WilliamSimper_WDFW
New Contributor II

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem as of today (4/29/2021). When I try to add a Hub user (that has the same set of privileges as all prior members) to a Supporting Team (while in Hub), the process appears to take place, and no error message is generated. However the user is not added to the Supporting Team/Group.

Thank you for your prompt attention-- this is our busy time of year to add users to our Hub for Spring survey projects!

0 Kudos
KatelynThompson
Esri Contributor

Hey William, sorry to hear you're also experiencing an issue. We're thinking this might be due to privilege changes in ArcGIS Online. To help troubleshoot, what role is assigned to the account you're using? 

0 Kudos
WilliamSimper_WDFW
New Contributor II

Both my parent org account (which is I assume what you mean?) and my Hub Community account are custom roles, but they are at least Publisher level (though not full Admin level). I created the problematic accounts (there are two having problems now) using the Community Hub account.

0 Kudos
WilliamSimper_WDFW
New Contributor II

Hi Katelyn,

any progress on this? We need to be able to add folks to these Groups ASAP. This is time sensitive. Thanks!

0 Kudos
KatelynThompson
Esri Contributor

Hey William, 

Do you have these two privileges assigned to your roles?

(see attachment)

0 Kudos
WilliamSimper_WDFW
New Contributor II

Hi Katelyn,

Susannah made sure those were toggled on, but sadly it's still not working like before.

0 Kudos
WilliamSimper_WDFW
New Contributor II

Also, I was not prompted to enter (or link to?) my Hub account credentials (as I usually would have to previously), so I don't know if this is a factor? I could find (and go through the process of adding) the Hub account I wanted to add without doing that.

0 Kudos