downloading a street map to hard drive

09-29-2014 10:00 AM
cliffhutton
New Contributor

Can someone please help me, I want to download a street map and I can't seem to find out how. could someone please point me in the right direction

kind regards

Cliff Hutton

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BondHarper
Occasional Contributor II

If you want free vector street data, the easiest way is to use the ArcGIS Editor for OpenStreetMap to extract your study area to a geodatabase: ArcGIS Editor for OpenStreetMap - Home .

0 Kudos
cliffhutton
New Contributor

Thanks very much for the info, however although I have downloaded ArcGIS editor, I cannot find a single instruction on how to install it on ArcGIS explorer, This is proving to be an exercise in futility, all I require is a street map of KwaZulu Natal to use as check with shp files supplied by the local municipality  ,to ensure that signage plans I submit falls in line with the council requirements. Unfortunately a number of sites are located where there is no internet connection, hence my need for a basemap to use offline, I have put an average of 18 hours a day for two weeks now to resolve this issue and right now I am no further than where I was two weeks ago. Phone calls to the various Esri office have proved to a a joke. very very frustrated

kind regards

Cliff Hutton

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Just export the data through: OpenStreetMap | Relation: ‪KwaZulu-Natal‬ (‪349390‬) and add it to ArcGIS Explorer.

You haven't found any instructions on how to install the Editor for OpenStreetMap, since it has been created for ArcGIS for Desktop.

0 Kudos