Datasets from ArcGIS Server missing from ArcGIS Hub

Jump to solution
10-17-2019 06:31 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We have a map service in ArcGIS Server whose layers are individually registered as Feature Layers in ArcGIS Online, and those items are then shared with an umbrella organisation's Open Data group to appear on their ArcGIS Hub site.

Recently, all our organisation's layers disappeared from the ArcGIS Hub site. They are still shared with the Open Data group, and we're still able to add and remove layers from that group. I tested this by sharing a dummy Hosted Feature Layer, which immediately appeared in Hub. I also changed the service URL of one of the existing Feature Layers to point to our test ArcGIS Server, and the layer immediately reappeared in Hub and then disappeared immediately when I changed the service URL back again.

An example dataset is https://waikatoregion.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=d9fb0e1a48414e7da65a6aabba79b970, which is shared to a group which should make it appear on the Waikato LASS Data Portal. The service URL is available from the ArcGIS Online item.

Both servers are ostensibly configured and responding identically, and both point to the same feature class in the same database. All I can think of is that perhaps Hub has, at some point, run into issues communicating with our production server and has cached that result and is now unable to automatically clear the issue. I've raised this with our local Esri distributor, but I'd certainly appreciate it if someone from Esri could take a look too.

Thanks,

Tristan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've fixed it!

TL;DR: We were planning on moving the Web Adapter to a new server anyway, so I did this and the trouble seems to have gone (fingers crossed).

I became suspicious that the problem was isolated to a single Web Adapter-ArcGIS Server pair, because switching the service to another pair immediately fixed the problem. I did some testing from an external (overseas) network and, although I got inconsistent results, it appeared that the connection to the original was being dropped a lot of the time. Generally, the following were true:

• I could visit /arcgis/rest/services with no trouble.
  • Visiting any folder or service, e.g. /arcgis/rest/services/Waikato_Data_Portal/Waikato_Data_Portal/MapService/58, would result in the connection being dropped.

ArcGIS Server was responding as expected when connecting to it directly, so that put my focus on the Web Adapter. I'd been planning on moving the Web Adapter to a new web server anyway, so I took the opportunity and did this.

There was also an issue on the old web server where the intermediate SSL certificate was not installed correctly (see Sydney Bohn's comment and my response). I don't think this was the main problem, because I was having trouble on both HTTP and HTTPS but, on the other hand, SSL is tricky. In any case, it's no longer an issue on the new server.

So, I never really found the root cause, but a new Web Adapter fixed it for me. If we hadn't been moving web servers anyway, I would have tried reinstalling the Web Adapter on the original web server.

Thanks Sydney Bohn and Hemant Angarkar for your help!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
HemantAngarkar1
Esri Contributor

Hi, When I accessed service URL of example dataset, I got following error;

If you are not able to see all of the ArcGIS Server services in ArcGIS Hub, that means probably your services are not externally accessible. Check your web adopter settings.

Hope that helps!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for looking at that. I've had mixed reports of the same result. It seems to be inconsistent, e.g. I can see it from other devices using independent internet connections.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hemant Angarkar‌ could you please see if the HTTPS equivalent works? I'd switched the service URL to HTTP to test that but hadn't switched it back. Should always have been HTTPS.

0 Kudos
HemantAngarkar1
Esri Contributor

Tristan McHardie‌, I got following error on http;

And I got following on https;

I don't remember any issues on open data where if you have HTTPS only settings enabled on Server and has issue detecting the datasets in data page. I think disabling service directory has something to do with it. I found this thread which talks about same issue. Looks like there is an Enhancement request for the same. I would get in touch with Tech Support as they have provided a solution to other customers in this scenario, check out REST end point of this dataset.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for that. I haven't had any trouble for the last ~8 months with having the service directory disabled. Interesting that you got a dropped connection for HTTP but not HTTPS. I was getting similar results.

0 Kudos
SydneyBohn
Esri Contributor

Hi Tristan McHardie!

Have you run your Server domain through an SSL certificate checker recently (like SSL Labs)? I just ran a quick check on the server domain and it looks like it has an incomplete certificate chain. This can cause issues with services shared to Hub as they sometimes can't be cached or won't index when there's a certificate chain issue, even when it otherwise loads fine in ArcGIS Online.

Usually a lot of folks can fix this by getting an intermediate certificate installed and properly configured on their server. Once that's fixed, you should hopefully be able to see these services in your Hub search results. Fixing the certificate chain now might also help avoid these kinds of weird certificate issues with other software as well.

If you'd like to discuss this issue more in depth, I'd highly suggest opening a case with Support and we'd be happy to look into it further.

Hope this helps!

Sydney

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Sydney Bohn‌, yes we had run SSL tests and we'd turned up the chain issue too. Interestingly, in some cases it was HTTP rather than HTTPS that was failing, as per Hemant Angarkar's test above. I've fixed the issue now, and I don't think the chaining issue was the main problem (more of a performance hit) though I'd never say never when it comes to SSL!

I'll outline my fix in another comment shortly.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've fixed it!

TL;DR: We were planning on moving the Web Adapter to a new server anyway, so I did this and the trouble seems to have gone (fingers crossed).

I became suspicious that the problem was isolated to a single Web Adapter-ArcGIS Server pair, because switching the service to another pair immediately fixed the problem. I did some testing from an external (overseas) network and, although I got inconsistent results, it appeared that the connection to the original was being dropped a lot of the time. Generally, the following were true:

• I could visit /arcgis/rest/services with no trouble.
  • Visiting any folder or service, e.g. /arcgis/rest/services/Waikato_Data_Portal/Waikato_Data_Portal/MapService/58, would result in the connection being dropped.

ArcGIS Server was responding as expected when connecting to it directly, so that put my focus on the Web Adapter. I'd been planning on moving the Web Adapter to a new web server anyway, so I took the opportunity and did this.

There was also an issue on the old web server where the intermediate SSL certificate was not installed correctly (see Sydney Bohn's comment and my response). I don't think this was the main problem, because I was having trouble on both HTTP and HTTPS but, on the other hand, SSL is tricky. In any case, it's no longer an issue on the new server.

So, I never really found the root cause, but a new Web Adapter fixed it for me. If we hadn't been moving web servers anyway, I would have tried reinstalling the Web Adapter on the original web server.

Thanks Sydney Bohn and Hemant Angarkar for your help!