Can Explore Feeds in footer be removed?

Jump to solution
08-02-2022 06:36 PM
Leigh_Brooks
New Contributor II

I'm a hub novice. I set up a site for a volunteer group and am testing on mobile phone since there doesn't seem to be a mobile device simulator when configuring the hub. The group is not GIS savvy, needs the site very simple. The downloads work differently on mobile than on my laptop. A volunteer complained that it's not intuitive and too many buttons to push to get to full documents by phone. I agree. He also asked what Explore Feeds is and asked if it could be removed. I haven't yet found a way to do that. Anyone know?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasHervey1
Esri Contributor

Hello @Leigh_Brooks 
Thanks for your comment. If you believe that you're seeing a bug or a suability problem with downloads on mobile, please reach out to our support team.

Regarding the Explore Feeds button, I understand your point that the group is not GIS savvy. Currently there isn't a way to remove this button, but we're adding functionality that will be useful to non-GIS users. For example, through the Explore Feeds button, users will be able to subscribe to an RSS feed, the search catalog, and eventually email notifications for updates to the site and site content. We believe that this path is the best way to promote community engagement and lower the barrier to entry for community members to collaborate on their site. With that said, it would be useful to know more about if and how you or your volunteer would like to promote community engagement. How do you plan to communicate with your volunteers? Do you need the ability to subscribe to content or event updates?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ThomasHervey1
Esri Contributor

Hello @Leigh_Brooks 
Thanks for your comment. If you believe that you're seeing a bug or a suability problem with downloads on mobile, please reach out to our support team.

Regarding the Explore Feeds button, I understand your point that the group is not GIS savvy. Currently there isn't a way to remove this button, but we're adding functionality that will be useful to non-GIS users. For example, through the Explore Feeds button, users will be able to subscribe to an RSS feed, the search catalog, and eventually email notifications for updates to the site and site content. We believe that this path is the best way to promote community engagement and lower the barrier to entry for community members to collaborate on their site. With that said, it would be useful to know more about if and how you or your volunteer would like to promote community engagement. How do you plan to communicate with your volunteers? Do you need the ability to subscribe to content or event updates?

0 Kudos
Leigh_Brooks
New Contributor II

Thank you Thomas. I plan to communicate with volunteers by email. I created a Survey123 form for people to sign up. I will get email addresses from there. Kinda cumbersome. I read that you can set up a web hook but that's beyond me for now, and we don't have any money to pay a third party. If volunteers could subscribe to email notifications easily that would be great. I am using Basic, not Premium, so don't have the ability to do events.

0 Kudos
STan_RWC
New Contributor II

Hi Thomas. I understand that this post is old. 

It would be nice to have the "Explore Feeds" button be option (aka having the option to hide it). We use Hub just as a basic GIS open data portal site to our GIS web apps and dashboards. There aren't necessarily any subscription RSS feed needed for the site, nor do we want such feature. I don't believe it has anything to do with being GIS savvy or not. Like other have said, the public does ask questions about buttons on a public government page. If something does not have a function, it should not be visible.

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

@ThomasHervey1 I'd also like to be able to hide "Explore Feeds". I'm just making a static page to embed into another app, there's nothing for them to subscribe to and like Leigh wanted, I want to keep the page as simple as possible for my users.

MargaretM
New Contributor III

I also need to hide the "Explore Feeds" and "Manage Privacy" link as we are setting up our Hub site on a Ipad in a Kiosk setting in our Museum. We do not want to give anybody the opportunity to browse outside of our hub site and search for things. Right now both these allow this to happen. The Manage Privacy link allows me to browse all over and since I'm not tracking my users, I would prefer to hide this.