Auto Update of Datasets on OpenData

03-02-2017 10:52 AM
CraigSwadner
Occasional Contributor

We have had several issues with our data updating.  After talking to other municipalities it seems to be a huge flaw in the software for customers not to have the ability to choose an automatic nightly update.  ESRI appears to have fixed the issue where you download a dataset it will create a new cache of data, however it could go days, weeks, months, maybe years before someone downloads that dataset again.  There really needs to be a way customers can set their sites to initiate a nightly update of their dataset caches ....

30 Replies
DanielFenton1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I just wanted to share that this is on our roadmap. We have begun work to implement the next version of our indexers. They will refresh the search index and download cache daily. We currently expect this to hit production during the 4th quarter this year. We'll make sure to update you when this feature launches.

Daniel Fenton

Software Engineer | ArcGIS Hub

LauriSohl
New Contributor II

Hi Daniel, are you able to share any more information about this?  I'd be interested in learning more about the timeline of implementation, what "time" the index will run, will the date on each record in open data be updated, etc.?  Currently, for our critical datasets that are on open data, I have to manually update the index, and often more than once, in order for all of the records to be updated - the count/date on the data layer, the number of records in the table, and the correct number of records downloaded.  I'd appreciate any tips on how to ensure, currently, that my data in open data is reflecting the current data that it is pointing to.  Thank you!!  

Lauri Sohl

GIS Manager

City of Sioux Falls

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1

Hi Lauri, we're targeting the 4th quarter of this year for rolling out the new system. More details will be coming as we get closer to rollout.

The best thing you can do to keep your data up to date is to edit the ArcGIS Online item when something changes, for example adding a publish date to metadata. That will tell our systems to index the item and services as well as giving us the exact publish date.

0 Kudos
deleted-user-7SLqM7dlvYNN
New Contributor III

Hi Daniel, was this change implemented? We're seeing erratic behaviour for annonymous and authenticated users when it comes to download capability and item details. This is despite updating the index, after updating dataset details which refreshed the update date.

Changelog for hub http://hub.arcgis.com/pages/changelog mentions on 27th Feb there was, "A regression on item-based feature service exports has been addressed". Do you have any further information on this change?

LeoLadefian5
Occasional Contributor II

any pdate on this? Our users are complaining about old data.

LukeBehling
Occasional Contributor

This was brought to our attention today as well, and even with re-indexing weekly. ESRI please update the status of this.

DanielFenton1

Luke et al,

We are still actively working on this as a top priority. We don't have an exact timeline to share yet.

Daniel Fenton

Software Engineer | ArcGIS Hub

BrandonLongenberger
New Contributor

Any update on when this issue will be resolved?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Brandon,

We just released updates to the indexer last week. See reply to OP for more information.

Best,

Patrick

0 Kudos
KyleWikstrom
Occasional Contributor II

Our local government clients are still experiencing this issue with their users (i.e., the user will download a dataset and it's not the most recent, updated dataset). The idea of firing up the FTP sites again has been thrown around at these organizations unless this gets resolved soon.