10.4 MXD crash Windows 10

08-29-2017 08:42 AM
JaredAuch
New Contributor II

MXD with a large amount of layers crashes frequently when idle.  This issue only happens on Windows 10 PCs and only with this one particular MXD.  Any ideas for steps to take to troubleshoot this issue? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

are the machines the exact same (memory, video etc) except for windows 10?

Quick fix... go to the machine that isn't failing and remove anything that isn't necessary

0 Kudos
JaredAuch
New Contributor II

Exact same machines. I have tried stripping layers out to find the bad layers.  I thought I had found them but after a few days the crashing started up again.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If there is no crash message, then it could be the project and where files are located... if they aren't the same, then a rebuild might be in order.

Also... if any of the files are not stored locally, then it might be a communications problem between the computer and the network.  There is no one 'fix' that accounts for a project to crash and none have been associated with windows 10 that didn't have another root cause.

0 Kudos
JaredAuch
New Contributor II

All of my troubleshooting efforts rebuilding several times repathing and moving lose layers to gdbs to limit the amount of locations is starting to point to a windows caching issues or a drop in network connection. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

check this thread and other threads relating to image etc caches if you are using lots of them

also go to your command prompt (any one will do) and run the following line to see what some of your cache settings are.

This one is for a laptop

C:\ArcPro\bin\Python\Scripts>wmic cpu get L2CacheSize, L3CacheSize
L2CacheSize  L3CacheSize
512          3072

0 Kudos