Flexibility responsiveness gallery cards ArcGIS HUB

11-23-2018 06:27 AM
ChristaKemperman1
New Contributor III

ArcGIS Hub has the option to add a gallery in which you can show your datasets, sites or apps to the public. In our hub we use it for sharing our apps. Recently the gallery has undergone some change. One of the changes is that the gallery cards are made responsive to the container box. In our hub this caused problems with the app-thumbnails and text position. Furthermore, different app-card sizes suggest a difference in importance of the apps, which is not the case.

Maybe for some the responsiveness of cards is a welcome change, for us it's not. Therefore I would suggest to make the responsiveness optional instead of the only option. Something that be turned off when not needed. 

10 Comments
SusanCarlson

The option to add all content in a group is great! I agree about the card sizing using the gallery. We use the iframe to display group contents because we really like the design and small size of the app-cards. These are applications that get swapped out regularly and are of less importance than our main card-focused applications. It's great to be able to just share/unshared with a group to update the hub page. Unfortunately, the responsiveness of the iframes is nonexistent. We'd like to use the gallery item but it would only be practical if we could set the card sizes to what we need.

- Loudoun County

Kara_Shindle

I agree this would be quite useful.  I just started playing with Hub to replace our current portal with a hub page, and fudging the icon sizing by inserting text widgets to squish the gallery widget only goes so far.

WillArellano

I am creating my first HUB site and the sizing of the gallery icons is driving me crazy! The adaptive sizing absolutely does not work for me because it chops up my carefully crafted thumbnails and makes some items appear more important then others by making them bigger. I can't figure out how to "fudge" it either. It works great if you have web apps in multiples of 4, but if you have less than 4 in each row it doesn't work. Very frustrating!

Kara_Shindle

The best way I was able to fudge it was to insert blank text cards on either side of my gallery card.  It forces the resize.  I didn't like it, and I actually had better luck creating each of my applications as it's own card.  I also chose this option because the gallery cards don't take self-hosted apps or custom URLs into account, and it was screwing up my Google Analytics, so I found that manually creating a card gave me the best sizing and fit my needs overall.

WillArellano

Thank you for the help! I will try separate cards for each application and see if that does what I want.

Jsuever

The ability to choose the size of gallery cards that are created is critical to maximizing the impact of the web page. That is definitely a capability that we would like to see incorporated into a future update of the ArcGIS hub since it allows us to control the impact of the first screen of data/application info that is viewed by our customer.  Being able to express the relative importance and quantity of data exposed initially to the customer is certainly necessary to maximize effectiveness of our web pages.

KevinMacLeodCAI

I am also wondering if there is a CSS workaround an Esri staffer could provide?  If you have odd numbers of apps in a Gallery; it makes the bottom one or two huge, and cuts off their thumbnail images. It does not look flattering. Is a fix for this planned?

I would like to see  1) an option to keep them the same size; even if it's an odd number, keep all the thumbnails same size 2) allow us to choose the size and thumbnail position/scale for each one individually, if we want to override that global setting.   Is there a Bootstrap line we could use perhaps?  Part of the issue is we don't see the underlying html/css of Gallery cards. It would be great if Hub would expose the underlying DOM/HTML/CSS of all cards; so we can tweak it infinitely.  Having ability to inject classes is nice but that would be better. Like the old, old OpenData 1.0. 

Hub has a great start but this is and a paginating Gallery are essential for us to be able to create professional-looking Hub sites. I think ideally once these two things are implemented, nearly every town that has ArcGIS would probably want to have a Hub. But the main purpose for most cities I can see for Hub is not fancy Dashboards or other gee whiz things but simply a directory of viewers, datasets, and pages.  It's the entry point.  Search works and it works great. (except if data is not shared public; Portal API is then used; which creates copies of downloads and does not 'find' things but the engineering team is aware of this and working on it)  No addition there, search is great. But the Gallery Card for discoverable lists of data; needs these two ideas to bring it to the finish line. Full exposure of the html/css source would be the icing on the cake. https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-hub-ideas/add-pagination-to-gallery-widget/idc-p/1094779#M313

KevinMacLeodCAI

I figured out a way to inject CSS globally (inline in the Footer) so as to at least make the cards the same width as the others, and look a little better - https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-hub-questions/how-to-prevent-gallery-thumbnails-from-stretching...

AmyTomasso

Has there been a resolution to this problem? I am still struggling to adjust the size of 5 cards in a gallery. The fifth card gets bumped to a new line and the formatting is completely off! 

Char10773g

Agreed - this would be an easily implemented but high impact fix to the gallery feature, which is very powerful but messy & confusing for dynamically generated cards that have a number of results not divisible by 4. Please fix!