Enable File Geodatabase downloads (on Open Data) for ArcGIS for Server feature services.

03-23-2018 05:27 AM
KerryWright
New Contributor III

Not having the option to download a file geodatabase impacts all users of our Open Data site.  Currently the only option is to download a shape file.

When you download a shape file you are impeded by size limitations and you lose data integrity because any and all domains associated with the data are lost. 

I understand that the option of downloading as a file geodatabase is available if we host our data in ArcGIS Online but for our organization that is not a viable option.

These limitation cause our open data site to be used less than it should be.   We consistently get requests for file geodatabases and end up having to provide the data the old fashioned way - zipped and emailed or via FTP.

In addition, when we need to acquire data from our partnering communities, data that is used to support several critical systems, we are forced to request file geodatabases from them via zipped email or FTP rather than use their respective Open Data site because shape files do not meet our requirements.  This makes the true impact of this for us two-fold. 

33 Comments
RandyKreuziger1

After two years this idea is still marked as "New."  Could someone from ESRI update this to "Not in current production plan" or "under consideration?"  We need this.  As others have pointed out shapefiles shouldn't be the standard anymore, they should just be an option.

GeorgeStrebel

I agree with @RandyKreuziger1 RandyKreuziger1 05-19-2020 04:21 PM

It has now been over four years and this is still marked as "New".   According to Esri there has or will be been an AGOL update/release but I could not find any information on this enhancement in the release notes.  Could someone from ESRI update this to "Not in current production plan" or "under consideration?"  We do need this to streamline organization workflows so we are not duplicating data from services to hosted feature services.

RandyKreuziger1

The status has been changed to "Known Limit"

Also, there is a comment about a fix coming 2nd quarter 2023 in the bug notes section.  I've pasted it before from bug entry https://my.esri.com/#/support/bugs/ENH-000104096  I think the link will only work if your organization has asked to be added to the bug case.

ArcGIS Hub depends on the ArcGIS Feature Server team for format enhancements. We are prospectively looking to add support when a new download backend system is implement around 2Q2023.