Ordinary Kriging_Serious Application Error

02-08-2011 10:35 AM
SilviaBologna
New Contributor
Hi,

I'm attempting to perform ordinary Kriging using the geostatistical wizard in ArcMap10 on Windows Vista SP1.
In particular, in the second step in which I define the Kriging and output type, when clicking  NEXT ArcMap closes with the message "ArcGIS Explorer has encountered a serious application error".

Any suggestions on how to solve this issue?

Thanks

Silvia
0 Kudos
20 Replies
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Are you using
10 Final
10 SP1
10 SP2

Thanks
Steve
0 Kudos
TimCushman
New Contributor III
10 Final. I'm also using a temporary GA evaluation license, if that makes a difference.
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Fixed in 10SP1. Reference number is NIM060172
0 Kudos
TimCushman
New Contributor III
I installed SP1 and SP2 and GA works fine on join tables now. My other issue is that I can't export my GA results to vector or raster. Every time I try, I get ERROR code 000966: The input layer is not valid. The analysis results also say "Output feature class: <empty>".

Do you know why I can't export my results? Thanks.
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
please send your layer and datasets used to create it to slynch@esri.com

Steve
0 Kudos
TimCushman
New Contributor III
It seems that exporting to a File GDB may have solved my problem. When I export to vector (saving it to a file GDB), the export GA Layer to Contour works just fine. Thanks.
0 Kudos
BryceStath
New Contributor
I'm having some problems exporting GA layers to grids in Arc10 SP2.

I re-wrote the script I was using and it worked fine for small, sample datasets, but when applied to larger datasets I got this very strange error about incompatible characters in my .GA:LayerToGrid statement which looked like

arcpy.GALayerToGrid_ga(Lyrf1bc, outGAf1bc, cellSize, cellptsHor, cellptsVer)  with these variables
Lyrf1bc = "C:\working\Y2011\Plant\Raster\Temp\GAf1bc"
outGAf1bc = "C:\working\Y2011\Plant\Raster\Outputs\junk2"
cellSize = 1
cellptsHor = 1
cellptsVer = 1

I tried using letters only and short names, to no avail. So then I tried to back up and test it a little more manually, and still have problems. 

So I decided to manually create the GA layers in the GeoStat wizard and batch export them to grid overnight....  This morning only one exported.  In the past (9.3) this would be something that would take maybe 4 hours.  I am using the same cell size and parameters as previous runs, so the datasets themselves shouldn't be that different. 

I'm currently trying to export a GA layer manually (right click in ToC) and it's producing the same behavior, VERY slow exporting.

Any thoughts?

thanks
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Bryce

Could you pachage the GA layer (in the following toolset, DataManagement->Package) and post it to the Forum or email it to me (slynch@esri.com)

also, please let me know the cell size and raster format (grid or fGDB or ?) that you are exporting to.

And, BTW, do you have any geoprocessing environments set, i.e analysis cell size, extent, snap raster, output coordinate system?

And, BTW, the GALayerToGrid geoprocessing tool is the same that is used when right clicking on the GA layer and choosing Data->Export...

Thanks
Steve
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
We changed our searching neighborhood algorithm for ArcGIS 10. It appears that this is the cause of your speed issue. We made it more robust but appears that in your case it slowed down the process considerably. We�??re looking into fixing it.

However, if you change the Sector type to 1 sector it�??ll be fast or you could also keep the 4 sectors but change the minimum neighbors to 0 and it�??ll be fast.

The data that Bryce has is very densly sampled and the change of neighborhood will therefore not impact the predictions.

Hope this helps
Steve
0 Kudos
JoannaWhittier
New Contributor III
I am having the same problem initially mentioned in this thread.  I did not have SP1 installed so just installed SP2.  It appeared that SP2 should have included previous fixes.  However after rebooting, creating new personal geodatabases, ArcMap still crashes when I try kriging using a personal geodatabase.  Can I install SP1 after SP2?  I was going to uninstall SP2 but cannot find it listed in the programs from the control panel.
0 Kudos