Distance between polygons

Jump to solution
10-07-2019 11:16 AM
janehansen
New Contributor III

Hi I am trying to find the distance between many polygons that represent parks.  I have tried to run the proximity tool and the near tool but neither worked.  All the polygons (multi) exists within one layer.  I am hoping for some guidance on how to obtain the distances between each of these polygons.

Thanks

Jane

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

You should be able to use the Near tool. Just include your feature layer as both the input features and near features. It will calculate the distance between all your features within the layer.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MervynLotter

You should be able to use the Near tool. Just include your feature layer as both the input features and near features. It will calculate the distance between all your features within the layer.

janehansen
New Contributor III

Thank you, that worked

0 Kudos
IR
by
New Contributor

Near tool not works in polygon to polygon features 

janehansen
New Contributor III

I just noticed that the results from the near tool did not include the largest polygons. For smaller polygons the distance was calculated, for the 4 largest, and most important to my analysis, the distance using the near tool was 0.

The layer I used was the original layer, I did not merge any new parks with the original layer. 

Any ideas why these parks were not calculated?

Thanks,

Jane

0 Kudos
MervynLotter

Hi Jane

Having a distance of 0 may indicate that these features are overlapping or touching. If they are not, then check for any multipart features that may be influencing the results. I also frequently use the Repair Geometry tool if anything usually looks amis. 

0 Kudos
janehansen
New Contributor III

The polygons are not overlapping or touching. I will try the repair

geometry tool and see if this makes a difference.

Thanks for your input

Jane

0 Kudos