View/Output number of sample pairs in variogram

Jump to solution
10-20-2021 03:39 PM
Bill_Thayer
New Contributor II

I am using the Geostatistical Analyst extension in ArcGIS Pro v2.7.

Is it possible to see the number of data pairs that are used to estimate the semivariogram for each lag?

If so, can the number of pairs be displayed on the variogram plot or elsewhere?

Can the number of pairs be output to a file?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EricKrause
Esri Regular Contributor

@Bill_Thayer No, I'm sorry, but this information cannot be extracted.  One thing to know, however, is that the semivariogram is estimated using no more than 1000 input features.  If the input features have more than 1000 valid records, a random sample of 1000 is taken, and only these features are binned for semivariogram estimation*.  So even if you could extract the actual number of binned pairs, it would not match the number you expect, unless you have fewer than 1000 points.

If this information is something that would help you in your work or research, your best bet is submit the idea through ArcGIS Ideas.

*After estimating the semivariogram from the random sample, all input points are used when making predictions, not just the 1000 point sample.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

@Bill_Thayer 

I did a google search for this information and found an article about the semivariogram sensitivity.  Could be a help to you:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.7/tool-reference/geostatistical-analyst/semivariogram-sensitivit... 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
EricKrause
Esri Regular Contributor

@Bill_Thayer No, I'm sorry, but this information cannot be extracted.  One thing to know, however, is that the semivariogram is estimated using no more than 1000 input features.  If the input features have more than 1000 valid records, a random sample of 1000 is taken, and only these features are binned for semivariogram estimation*.  So even if you could extract the actual number of binned pairs, it would not match the number you expect, unless you have fewer than 1000 points.

If this information is something that would help you in your work or research, your best bet is submit the idea through ArcGIS Ideas.

*After estimating the semivariogram from the random sample, all input points are used when making predictions, not just the 1000 point sample.

Bill_Thayer
New Contributor II

Thank you for taking the time to respond, much appreciated!

Bill_Thayer
New Contributor II

Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

You're welcome!

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos