Geoplanner project files are corrupted/unable to be opened.

04-28-2019 02:58 PM
GalenSjostrom1
New Contributor II

Hello-

My classmates and I are attempting to use GeoPlanner for a landscape planning and design class, and we are having a pervasive problem with our saved GeoPlanner project files becoming un-openable either days or sometimes only hours after they were created or last saved.  When attempting to re-open a project from our respective accounts' "existing projects" menu, the following error is all we receive:

... with error db6dffdece45441e82b0d7c3b65c60de identified but no other explanation.

Please help... this problem in preventing ALL incremental progress on our projects.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
GalenSjostrom1
New Contributor II

I should add - this problem was present even with projects created as part of Esri's existing training modules for GeoPlanner, using only data curated by Esri for those trainings.  

0 Kudos
KennethWalton
New Contributor II

Hi Galen,

Thanks for reaching out. I haven't been able to reproduce the issue yet on my end. I even tried an old project from October 2017 that I'm able to open.

A few questions:

- Can you provide a list of steps to reproduce the issue?

- Are you using the ArcGIS Online version (https://geoplanner.arcgis.com/) or the Portal version (https://<myserver>/portal/apps/geoplanner/)?

- Which template are you using to create the project (ex. "GeoPlanner Basic Template", "GeoPlanner Template for Land Use Planning", etc)?

- Which operating system are you using?

- Which web browser are you using?

- What data is being added to the map?

Thanks!,
Kenneth Walton

0 Kudos
GalenSjostrom1
New Contributor II

Thanks for the quick reply, Kenneth-

Responding to your questions in order:

- Can you provide a list of steps to reproduce the issue?

>The first time the issue arose, it was during the Esri training lesson "GeoPlanner for ArcGIS: Designing with Real-Time Feedback".  During step 4 ('Create a new design layer') of the first exercise in the lesson ('Prepare a scenario to design'), an error would be thrown after clicking 'import' in the 'Add to Design Layers' dialog for the layer specified in the lesson.  After closing the error pop-up, the GeoPlanner page would automatically refresh to a completely blank map without any layers or basemap, and any attempts to re-open the project created for the lesson would result in the 'Error - Unable to Open Project' message described in my initial post.

>The second time encountering this error was with a project I'd started myself based on the Esri 'GeoPlanner Template for Land Use Planning'.  I'd worked on the project intermittently for two days, adding a set of layers in a file geodatabase I'd uploaded to ArcGIS online as a feature service, and was experimenting with classifying some of them and changing visibility settings.  I hadn't yet loaded any data into an existing design layer in the template, or created any new ones.  I did invite my partner on the assignment into the project using the 'Invite User' button in the project's file menu.  I believe the last thing I did before saving and closing the project was try changing the basemap to 'dark gray canvas'.  As a point of interest, this is what the basemap selection pop-up looks like whenever I open it in GeoPlanner:

The dark gray basemap did load though, so I saved and closed the project intending to reopen it later and continue working.  However, two days later when I tried to reopen it I was presented with the 'Error - Unable to Open Project' warning.

- Are you using the ArcGIS Online version (https://geoplanner.arcgis.com/) or the Portal version (https://<myserver>/portal/apps/geoplanner/)?

> I'm using the ArcGIS Online version

- Which template are you using to create the project (ex. "GeoPlanner Basic Template", "GeoPlanner Template for Land Use Planning", etc)?
   > For the training course I was using the 'GeoPlanner Template For Assessing Green Infrastructure Plans' template as directed by the instructions, and for my own project I was using the 'GeoPlanner Template for Land Use Planning' template.

- Which operating system are you using?
   > Windows 10

- Which web browser are you using?
   > Google Chrome

- What data is being added to the map?

> For the training module, I was using only the Esri-curated data specified in the exercise - the Flood Prone Residential Area (Baton Rouge) layer, and the built-in parameters for the Green Infrastructure Suitability model.  For my own project, the only data I'd added that wasn't included in the land use planning template was the set of polygon feature classes included in the hosted file geodatabase I'd loaded.  I've set that layer to 'public' sharing if you'd like to examine it yourself; you should be able to find it in ArcOnline by searching for all or part of the filename 'sjost044_LA5004_ex07files'.

Thanks!

Galen S.

0 Kudos
KennethWalton
New Contributor II

Hi Galen,

Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce any of the issues you're seeing yet. I was able to successfully make it through Steps 1-4 of GeoPlanner for ArcGIS: Designing with Real-Time without issues, and can re-open the project.

Could you try clearing Chrome's cookies and cache and try opening a project again? Here is a list of steps, just in case:

1. While Chrome is the currently selected app, press Ctrl+Shift+Del

2. Click the "Basic" tab, set Time range to "All time", checkmark the options "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files", then press the "Clear Data" button.

Which version of Chrome are you currently using?

I'll continue looking into this.

Thanks!,

Kenneth Walton

0 Kudos
KennethWalton
New Contributor II

Galen Sjostrom

I was able to reproduce the issue, and we are currently looking into a fix. The issue looks to be related to switching to a vector basemap within GeoPlanner.

Until we are able to apply a fix for the issue, I would highly recommend not changing the basemap within GeoPlanner, and just use the default. Unfortunately, you will need to create a new project.

I'm sorry that you and your classmates ran into this issue.

Thanks,

Kenneth Walton

GalenSjostrom1
New Contributor II

Hello again, Ken-

Thanks very much for the update.  I'm relieved to hear you were able to reproduce the issue, because I've been working with Esri Support and we haven't been able to.  I'm also glad to hear a fix is in the works.

Thanks again for your help,

Galen S.