RSS problem ?

08-28-2013 11:28 AM
olivierdev
New Contributor III
To test GeoEvent Processor, I have tried to connect this public GeoRSS feed as an input into GEP:
http://188.117.35.14/TrainRSS/TrainService.svc/AllTrains

I have troubles using it:

The GeoEvent Definition is created automatically as soon as the first message comes in but it doesn't match the XML item's fields found in the RSS feed when you open it in a browser.
The auto generated GeoEvent Definition fields list is : title, link, description, guid, pubDate, GEOMETRY, geo_lat, geo_long.
And the XML item fields list is (from the RSS feed):
<guid isPermaLink="false">IC11</guid>
<category>1</category>
<title>IC 11</title>
<description>Summary</description>
<pubDate>Wed, 28 Aug 2013 22:10:13 +0300</pubDate>
<georss:point>62.1133100000001 30.01797</georss:point>
<from>HKI</from>
<to>JNS</to>
<status>1</status>
<dir>38</dir>
<cat>IC</cat>

First problem is that the auto generated definition is not complete.
This input flows to an output : a feature service. The feature service definition matchs the input geo event definition.
The feature service is updated but doesn't match the RSS feed update (in frequency, amount of data, and data, some data are missing).

What's could be wrong here?
Is there a trick I missed?

olivier
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ivan_LeHjelmeland
New Contributor
Hi Olivier,

seeing as just some of your data is missing my guess would be that some of the data won't match the geodatabase criteria and some will.

Try chaning the fields in the geodatabase to a longer feild. The default is (50), try setting it to (100) or higher. The links in an RSS is often way longer than what we might think.

Cheers,

Ivan
0 Kudos
omaraboulola
New Contributor
Hi,

Can you help me

i want to get feeds for weather and don't know how to get the input and which input to use and which output to use. Also, how can I view it on a map.

I completed the twitter exercise because there is a straight forward documentation, but how can I get a documentation for RSS feeds.

I think it is the same steps if you want to get accidents, weather, etc

please can you help me.

My email is aboulola@gmail.com

Thanks
0 Kudos
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor
Omar -

There was a tutorial prepared for working with RSS feeds, but it did not get uploaded with the 10.2.0 product release when we discovered some issues with consistently updating feature services hosted by ArcGIS Online. The Working with RSS tutorial is being reviewed and updated for release with the 10.2.1 product. However, to hopefully provide you some immediate help, I've attached what I have as the latest draft of the tutorial with its supporting map package.

Please keep in mind that the attached material is still a draft. An updated tutorial package should be posted to the GeoEvent Processor product gallery by the end of the year.

- RJ
0 Kudos