Problems with 'Push Text to an External TCP Socket' in 10.3'

02-13-2015 02:32 AM
AndreasEspersen
New Contributor III

I'm having problems with Push Text to an External TCP Socket after having upgraded to 10.3.

For some reason I am getting the following error when trying to create the output

com.esri.ges.transport.tcp.TcpOutboundTransportExiting TCP Transport due to unforeseen error. java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect at sun.nio.ch.Net.connect0(Native Method)[:1.7.0_65] at sun.nio.ch.Net.connect(Net.java:465)[:1.7.0_65] at sun.nio.ch.Net.connect(Net.java:457)[:1.7.0_65] at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.connect(SocketChannelImpl.java:670)[:1.7.0_65] at com.esri.ges.transport.tcp.TcpOutboundTransport.attemptClientConnection(TcpOutboundTransport.java:127)[265:com.esri.ges.framework.transport.tcp-transport:10.3.0] at com.esri.ges.transport.tcp.TcpOutboundTransport.applyProperties(TcpOutboundTransport.java:406)[265:com.esri.ges.framework.transport.tcp-transport:10.3.0] at com.esri.ges.transport.tcp.TcpOutboundTransport.run(TcpOutboundTransport.java:351)[265:com.esri.ges.framework.transport.tcp-transport:10.3.0] at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)[:1.7.0_65]Feb 13, 2015, 11:22:34 AMERROR

Trying to import Module4_QuickStart.xml from the tutorial data gives the same error.

Everything was working fine at 10.2.2

Anybody knows what's going on here?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndreasEspersen
New Contributor III

Got an reply from Esri Support:

After some additional testing and research, it appears the issue your customer were seeing was actually expected behavior with the new 10.3 release. More precisely, the error you see when starting the TCP output, is due to the fact that it is unable to connect to its required TCP socket connection. While in previous releases, the TCP connector among others, were configured in a SERVER mode (continuously sending output and allowing any client to connect and begin receiving that feed), this new build has them configured as a CLIENT that actively pushes the feed to a defined host and port. You can confirm this by creating a TCP Input with the same port number and restarting the output. This change on the outputs from SERVER to CLIENT mode allowed for drastically improved performance in enterprise environments. This information along with a new TCP utility to replace the earlier version are included in the Tutorials that were released with the product. I’ve included a copy of that utility along with the first module of the introductory tutorial. The information specifically regarding this error can be found on page 44 (GeoEvent Extension Introduction - Module 1.pdf). I apologize for any inconveniences that were caused by the changes in this build, but hopefully they will result in a further improved product.

Edited 22-Jan-2016 by RJ Sunderman:

Please refer to the Real-Time Data Feeds and Sensors product page for links to the latest product tutorials. Updates to the Introduction to GeoEvent tutorial identify changes made to the TCP/Text output and provide instruction on how to establish an application server which will host the TCP socket to which the GeoEvent output can connect. The product tutorials are downloaded as bundles providing simulation files, data, and utilities needed to complete the tutorial exercises.

0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

Andreas Espersen​ Do you have the pdf you could share?
Thanks!

0 Kudos
AndreasEspersen
New Contributor III

Hi Timothy,

I attached the pdf above.

TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ErikNilsson1
New Contributor II

In the pdf-file it points to some files in a tcp-server-app folder. I can´t find those files on my server. Does anyone know where to download them?

0 Kudos
ErikNilsson1
New Contributor II
0 Kudos