Problem with sending the coordinate into arcgis Geovent Processor

03-18-2014 08:44 AM
DIALLOAbdoulaye
New Contributor II
Hello  everyone ,
I would like to know if there is a format or specic standard for sending coordinates of a mobile arcgis geoevent processor.
In fact I work on a project with tracking using  arcgis geoevent processor.
so I developed an application that will be installed on mobile for  sending UDP messages  to Geovent processor.
My question is ?
this message (containing the latitude and longitude of the mobile) should it respect a specific format to be recognized by geoevent
processor?
how Geoevent processor  is  going to know that this part is the longitude and the other part  is latitude?

I exuse for my english and thanks in advance for any help .

for information i am using a UDP protocole for sending message and my mobile use  windows phone 7 (OS).
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello -

I would like to know if there is a format or specic standard for sending coordinates of a mobile arcgis geoevent processor

It might be helpful to back up for a moment and remember that GeoEvent Services are designed with four basic components:  Input(s), Output(s), Filter(s), and Processor(s).

Inputs are inbound connectors and Outputs are outbound connectors. Behind every connector is an adapter and a transport. A transport is responsible for receiving (or sending) event data in to (or out from) a GeoEvent Service. Out of the box, GeoEvent Processor has transports for system files, Esri feature services, as well as the HTTP, TCP, UDP, and WebSocket protocols.

On the inbound side, an adapter is is responsible for adapting or interpreting the event data received. Out of the box, GeoEvent Processor has adapters which support comma separated text, generic JSON, Esri feature JSON, and GeoRSS. Additional adapters intended to highlight product extensibility are available on the Esri" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://links.esri.com/geoevent-gallery]Esri Gallery, Partner" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://links.esri.com/geoevent-partner-gallery]Partner Gallery, and Community" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://links.esri.com/geoevent-community-gallery]Community Gallery.

Since you are developing the mobile application intended to provide the data stream, and have identified the UDP protocol as your preferred transport, I would recommend formatting the data as comma separated text and leveraging the 'Receive text from a UDP Socket' Input connector available out-of-the-box. I would encourage you to take some time to go through the Introduction" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=265c334a47994dc... to GeoEvent Processor tutorial to familiarize yourself with how GeoEvent Services are designed to receive and process GeoEvents created from event data received as comma separated text. Updates to this tutorial will be available shortly which will make the content more approachable - but you should find the currently available tutorial adequate for your needs.

You may also find the following on-line references useful:

Hope this information helps -
RJ
0 Kudos
DIALLOAbdoulaye
New Contributor II
Hello RJ Sunderman
thanks for the reply
in fact I spoke about the message content for exemple: do i send the message in this order ( Id_mobile Device,latitude,longitude ) or the order does not matter for the interpretation of the message.
I hope that you understand my question now ??
thanks in advance
0 Kudos
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor
Thank you for the clarification.  If you are sending the data as MobileDeviceId,latitude,longitude then I would recommend creating a GeoEvent Definition with those fields in that order. Keeping in mind that every GeoEvent being processed must have a GeoEvent Definition which matches the event's schema. Comma-separated text being received via a UDP/Text Input must still have an Event Definition which specifies the event field names, data types, and field order.

You will want to configure your Input to create a Geometry from the received latitude and longitude fields, and include a field of type Geometry in the GeoEvent Definition so that the Input has somewhere to put the Geometry it creates.

- RJ
0 Kudos