Is There a Maximum Geofence Limit?

Jump to solution
02-26-2021 11:30 AM
RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

I have a fairly large table (350,000 records) that contains polygons that I would like to use for my geofences in Geovent Server. I published this as feature service so Geoevent Server can read it. The feature service works fine. However, I cannot import these records as a geofence in Geoevent Server. It just loads for about 10 minutes (pictured below), then the box disappears and it acts as if there are no geofences. There are not any error messages or anything useful in the logs. I am able to get it to work with a small number of records, but not with a large amount of records. Is there a limit to the number of geofences I can have in Geoevent Server? My resource usage on the server is fine, CPU doesn't get above 25% and RAM usage is less than 50%.

RyanUthoff_0-1614367299989.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ryan,

While there is not a hard limit on the number of GeoFences that can be imported in to GeoEvent Server, the resources required to maintain all the GeoFences may quickly become the issue. When GeoFences are imported, GeoEvent Server is storing the geometry of all the features in memory, which can add up and consume quite a bit of memory.

You can try to balance the number of GeoFences with the JVM running GeoEvent Server by tweaking the RAM allocation as per this article: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-geoevent-server-blog/increase-the-ram-allocation-to-the-jvm-run...

However, depending on the number and complexity of the GeoFences, you may want to look at reducing the need for so many features.

Hope this helps!

-Calvin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ryan,

While there is not a hard limit on the number of GeoFences that can be imported in to GeoEvent Server, the resources required to maintain all the GeoFences may quickly become the issue. When GeoFences are imported, GeoEvent Server is storing the geometry of all the features in memory, which can add up and consume quite a bit of memory.

You can try to balance the number of GeoFences with the JVM running GeoEvent Server by tweaking the RAM allocation as per this article: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-geoevent-server-blog/increase-the-ram-allocation-to-the-jvm-run...

However, depending on the number and complexity of the GeoFences, you may want to look at reducing the need for so many features.

Hope this helps!

-Calvin

0 Kudos
RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you for your response! I was actually reading another article that was talking about increasing the RAM allocation. I've done a lot of testing, and initially, the geofences were failing without any error when I asked this question. But after simplifying the geometry and trying to re-import them again, it actually was able to import several thousand before failing, and the GeoEvent server logs stated that it ran out of memory.

The initial failing without any error messages is what caught me off guard, but I realize that it was probably way too big and complex for it to even try to import any and provide any useful messages.

Thank you!

0 Kudos